Radioactive RA

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong
State/Location: NSW

Radioactive RA

Post by Kathryn »

Hi. Has anyone out their done a RA or SWP for their radioactive sources? We have just subscribed to RiskAssess but they don't seem to have the radioactive sources in their data base.
Kathryn :-?
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Re: Radioactive RA

Post by Ocean Breeze »

Hi Kathryn

Yes, I did a RA , quite a few yrs ago now, and BEFORE! we got any sources in to the school.

The order was at a teachers request for some prac or other.

It was decided that we would NOT buy any sources. Storage was an issue.. only storage was in the prep room with me.

I had also used a gigercounter on some of the storage boxes(lead lined) of some other peoples. Only to find that lead lines storage boxes that I had tested were making the giger counter beeb at quite an alarming rate!

That was enough for me to say "sorry guys! It ain't happenin!"

They then just used some simulation software. These days I am sure teachers could access a web based prac/simulation.

PS if anyone has these sources, do a GC test on them while they are in storage.
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by Lis »

Hi Kathryn

If you put radioactive source in the equipment list it brings up the radioactive source alpha, beta, gamma on the risk assess RA

Cheers
Lisa
lada

Post by lada »

Lis, what website you use for RA on radioactive sources??
Lada [-o< [-o<
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong

Post by Kathryn »

Thanks Lisa - I discovered that after I had written this question (i"d been trying under chemicals). Still I am surprised that the RA for radioactive sources is surprisingly lacking in specifics in handling, so will be doing a SWP.

The risk assess site is an on-line site which does the RA's for you. You have to subscribe but at $125/yr we decided it was worth it as we are just starting on doing RA's for all experiments.
http://www.riskassess.com.au/

Kathryn
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by Lis »

Hi Lada & Kathryn
I have used RiskAssess for about 18months, it is so easy, and we do a RA for every prac, regardless of chemicals or not, just the way we have set it up here.We are happy with it, although not everything is in the data base, but if you contact them, they are always happy to help, and reply quite quickly to emails
Cheers
Lisa