Safety in the Science Laboratories

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Voice
State/Location: VIC

Safety in the Science Laboratories

Post by Voice »

I have been at this school, full time, since the start of the year and have only last month noticed that one laboratory does not have an emergency stop button.
Maintenance have come to me asking to provide documentation that this expensive item needs to be installed. It is not their fault. I have met their request as best I can. I do not think this will be satisfactory to the management however.
As such, the only way I can be sure that something will be done is to make management understand the cost, to the school's reputation and finances, involved if an accident were to happen.
This is where I need you all.
I know how students can pull the rubber gas hose out of the tap before turning off, but I really need some other instances where students can be absolute idiots and staff need to be using that emergency stop.
Can you please give me some ideas.
Thank you
Maree
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Re: Safety in the Science Laboratories

Post by Lyn »

I don't know about finding reasons to have them installed. I have had emergency stop buttons installed in all my labs for years now. Apparently by law they had to be installed, again for O,H&S reasons. Check with Workcover in your state. They should know.
Lyn.
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader
State/Location: NSW

Post by macca »

I know that as soon as any renovations accur even minnor, they have to be installed. Prior to our labs being done, a mains for each, (electricity, water & gas) under teachers bench.

We stopped all pracs., in one lab prior to renovations due to kids rocking the old benches and cracking the gas lines, would have been, "well you can imagine" if someone had lit a match. :coffee:
Voice

Post by Voice »

I understand where you are all coming from. However, the builder stated that there was only request for one, and of course this is in the other room. It also shuts off this science room.
So I asked my local Health and Safety rep. for the Department (Victoria) of Education what was current thinking.

This is here reply:
'The DEECD Building Quality Standards handbook – a big push was made in 2006/2007 to ensure the shut off was installed in all new science rooms. There was also a recommendation that any refurbishment programs that affected science rooms included the installation of the gas shut off button.

4.5.6 Emergency Isolation Valves

Provide clearly labelled and accessible isolation valves within each room served with a general purpose fuel gas outlet. Locate valves generally adjacent emergency exits within that room.'

Now, in my old school, where we had refurbishment done 10+ years ago, there were 3 emergency stop switches put in each room. I don't think this would have been done out of the goodness of the builder's heart.

This current school is only 4-5 years old. But, it is Kindergarten to Year 9 and I do believe has a primary school mentality. So thinking about safety in the Science rooms would not be a high priority.

Now, you know why I need your thoughts. Students and staff could be in some trouble if safety does not become a major concern. But sometimes management only seems to get the point when it affects them.

I need to make the consequences of an accident seem too much for them to handle.

Then I might get the emergency switch.

Thanks all.

Maree
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Voice wrote: 4.5.6 Emergency Isolation Valves

Provide clearly labelled and accessible isolation valves within each room served with a general purpose fuel gas outlet. Locate valves generally adjacent emergency exits within that room.'
I would say that the above OHS legislation should be enough. You shouldn't have to argue why - someone else has already done that, and that is why it is now required that we have "clearly labelled and accessible isolation valves within each room "

Perhaps ask what the results/fines are if WorkCover find a school is not meeting the standards...
SGG

Post by SGG »

Hi Voice
I'm a little confused (nothing new). We have valves that shut off gas and water to all the benches in each lab (located under teachers desk). We also have an "emergency shut down" switch for electrical isolation on the front wall in each lab also. Are you referring to gas or electrical shutdown?
With gas, the little darlings often push things into the gas taps and stop them turning off. This could lead to a build up of gas (explode if someone lights a match)so the valve should be turned off overnight or if gas is smelt.
With electricity, any circuitry students set up has the potential for electrical problems (ie mild to fatal electrecution), let alone suddenly faulty equipment (including computers catching on fire but my lot don't think that will happen). In NSW it is law to have an emergency cutoff switch in a room like the Science labs so that the electricity can be cut it the event of an electrical hazard. A sink full of water with a live power lead (end unplugged from power pack) is always a possibility. Hope this helps.
Regards
Sue G
Voice

Post by Voice »

G'day Sue,
It is the emergency shut down switch that I am wanting. In my past school and the current one, in the other science room, it shuts everything down....electricity, lights and gas. So, it's not a gas valve. I need to explain myself better!
Maree
SGG

Post by SGG »

Hi Voice
I haven't seen one that shuts everything off. I could use one of those in my Prep room - whoever designed this place didn't think the Lab Assistant needed protecting. :mad: The gas shut off valve is in the ceiling, there is no water shut off, and no electrical safety cut off.
I'm expendable! :crazy:
Regards
Sue G
gillian.devaney

Safety/Emergency Shower

Post by gillian.devaney »

My school is wanting to get its first Safety Shower!
Does anyone know how to go about getting one?
Thanks