lab tech Courses - by correspondence?

Any discussions concerning the job go here.
trish armstrong
Job Title: lab Assistant SAO
School: Taree High School
Suburb: Taree
State/Location: NSW

lab tech Courses - by correspondence?

Post by trish armstrong »

Welcome to 2009.
Have been searching for a lab technician course that can be done by correspondence or online.
Have searched TAFE, they only have some in the Sydney areas, which will be impossible to get to.
Please let me know if anyone knows of any that i can look into, would really appreciate it to enhance my job skills.
Ta, trish. :D
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Re: lab tech Courses - by correspondence?

Post by Labbie »

This has been a issue for many years. Their are NO course any more for any one to do. No training, just stick to chemtalk, and learn as you go along. Please feel free to ask us any question. Some of the people in the chemtalk family, are just great. Sorry their are NO course's wish they would do some.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Mother
Job Title: Science lab. technician
School: Dubbo College/Senior Campus
Suburb: Dubbo

Post by Mother »

Hi Patricia/Sue
Sue, are you sure that the school Patricia is at would not have a science lab.course available through TAFE for her to do? I did my course through this college over 2yrs.and finished in 2005.The college paid for it!! Maybe it has finished now.I would be interested to know if it has.
Cheers
Mother
estelle
Job Title: VIP
School: Wollumbin High
Suburb: Murwillumbah

Post by estelle »

Hi Trish,
If all else fails as far as courses go, then maybe the book and CD that the department put together last year called "working in science" would help you out. It costs about $90 although most of it is just a rehash of a folder that used to be free to the schools. (not sure why we have to pay for it now considering they don't offer any alternative training.) You may find some of it of use, I am not sure how long you have worked in the science area, if you are new you may find it helpful but if you have done the job for a while then maybe not. There are a couple of DVDs that come with it, although from what I saw I think there was a lab assistant working with chemicals on it with no safety glasses etc which seemed a bit odd to me.The pages about geology helped me identify some bits of rock I had here and diagrams on setting up some equipment was OK as well.
I did a correspondence course through the Campbelltown TAFE about 4 years ago but I don't know if they still offer it.
Good luck
Estelle
trish armstrong
Job Title: lab Assistant SAO
School: Taree High School
Suburb: Taree

Post by trish armstrong »

Thanks guys,
I contacted my local TAFE 3 days ago and they are going to look into it a little more for me, but they do not offer anything like a lab course in Taree or Close centres. So I will wait and see. Estelle I have the manual, and I also have the previous manual. I just thought it may be nice to have a little bit more of a qualification to back me up. I have been permanent in the science dept for 2 years and have had lots of support from a network of science assistants and chem talk, but was curious if one was available for me to do. Many, many thanks Trish.
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Here in South West Reigon, their was a labbie who managed to work four days a week, and train some people on the fifth day. It was passed by the DET, but for some reason they stopped it. I would love to know if their is such a course a person could do. I have two ladies a week coming over from other schools. Just to watch me do things. It just so hard when all the training has been stopped.
Regards Labbie

estelle

Post by estelle »

Hello again,
Further to finding out about courses. Does anyone know how I would go about doing a CertIV in OH & S. Tafe offer one but I was wondering if there is some way of doing it through my school so I could get time for study and possibly financial help for the course. One of our long term casuals told me that she is doing a library course and somehow our school signed for it and it is worth about $1500. The course I looked at was about $700 for tafe fees plus text books. I am not sure how a casual got the funds and permanents don't.I think she said it was a certificate or something so maybe money didn't actually change hands.
Would be interested to hear from anyone about this.
Thanks
Estelle
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

I did a certificate IV through the PSA back in the 90's. Not too sure if they still run it. Pay's to be a member. Do try their web site, PSA
Regards Labbie

sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

You are in my Diocesan area Trish. There is a course at Newcastle TAFE.
Perhaps they can help
estelle

Post by estelle »

Hi,
I was given some paperwork yesterday from the front office where you can apply for study leave and I am not sure about financial assistance from your school if you are doing a course that is beneficial to your job. It has to be applied for by the 8th of Feb though.
There is about 4 pages to fill in but anyone wanting to study might find this helpful.
Estelle
dss8386
Job Title: Laboratory Assistant
School: St. Augustines College
Suburb: Cairns
State/Location: QLD

Post by dss8386 »

Hi All,

There are lab courses that are through correspondence or online. I think you cn obtain Cert IV throught central Queensland Tafe but i know for sure that through Roseworthy Tafe in South Australia offers it as that is how i obtained my Certificate III. Website is http://www.courses.tafesa.edu.au/xml/ca ... MLABO.aspx I would like to go on to complete Cert IV eventually. However if you want to study a diploma or anything certificate higher then CertIV, you have to attend campus.

Regards,

David Sellick, Trinity Bay State High School.
merilyn

Post by merilyn »

Found these old posts, from last year, regarding external courses. Has anyone had any experience with the course in S.A. that's mentioned, ie. how did you find the provider, helpful etc; was it worth doing?

I know Campbelltown TAFE still offers the lab assistant's course but only as a full-time basis. I wonder if they got enough enquiries whether they would consider offering by distance ed. again? Worth a thought as it sounds like there are a few people keen to get some qualifications.
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Don't forget guys, that TAFE's are under pressure to provide qualifications under the RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning) system. So if you are currently a Labbie in a school you may be able to offset part of your course by RPL. That's how I got my teaching qual, as mostly RPL, plus attending a short course and completing workbooks.
Cheers, K 8-)