Esters

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
amk
School: St Marys College
Suburb: Gunnedah
State/Location: NSW

Esters

Post by amk »

Our seniors are hoping to do ester production next term-does anyone have the amounts/volumes of propionic (propanoic) acid needed to add to 1-propanol, butanol and pentanol. Any help would be much appreciated. Happy (chocolate filled) Easter. :popcorn: :popcorn:
Cheers,
AMK
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Re: Esters

Post by fibreweb »

From my people in the know I got the following information.

They react in a 1:1 ratio That is 10 mls of acid to 10 mls alcohol but it is better to have a small excess of acid to make sure the reaction completely takes place. 1-2mls of Sulfuric acid is added as a catalyst.

After you have done the boiling bit with a water bath and boiling chips and put it into a separating funnel you ester solution has a couple of mls of 1M Sodiium Carbonate added to neutralise the acid, add small amounts until there is no further bubbling. Then separate the two liquids, the ester is on top of the water.

I hope this lakes sence.

Wendy
lada

Re: Esters

Post by lada »

Our recipe has 24mL of alkanoic acid and 10-12 mL of alcohol with 2 mL of sulfuric acid. Reflux for 30 min.
Happy easter
Lada :coffee: