Cleaning and calibrating microscopes

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
Phoenix
Job Title: Scientific Operations Officer
School: Roma State College
State/Location: QLD

Cleaning and calibrating microscopes

Post by Phoenix »

When it comes to the microscopes in everybodies labs, what do you all do about cleaning and calibrating?

Every year in the past when we got a flyer about technitions who would be coming into the area to service microscopes and balances the Chem teacher kept telling me no. Its to expensive and easy to do your self. So for the few years I've been here I've stripped them down myself to the best of my ability and cleaned them etc but I really think it should be done by someone with a little more experience than me.
We have a number of microscopes that range from 5 years old to possibly 20 years because they still have the old state high school name on them :?

I can keep them clean well enough but calibrating and making sure everything is correctly oiled is getting me worried especially as some of them are feeling a little sticky and hard to adjust :-(

What does everyone else do, do you get techs in or do it all yourselves? Any tips on how to do it better myself?

Cheers
Kel
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth
State/Location: NSW

Re: Cleaning and calibrating microscopes

Post by RosalieM »

Perhaps you could team up with Charleville SHS and have the technician come and service the microscopes for both schools in the one trip and share the costs with them, and while he/she is there ask them to show you what to do given your remote location and lack of funds. I don't know if they would do it as it is putting themselves out of a job but it might be worth considering?

PS. I assume there is only one Roma in Qld?
Phoenix
Job Title: Scientific Operations Officer
School: Roma State College
State/Location: QLD

Post by Phoenix »

You got the right Roma
Sitting out here between Wallumbilla and Muckadilla :hi:

I'm yet to get a reply from Robyn in Charleville, I'm still trying to find out if she's alright after the flood. I don't even know if the school is back up and functioning yet. :oops:

As for the idea I might try contacting a few of the other schools around the district and see if we could all pitch in.

Kel
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

I'm pretty sure I read or heard that they are back at school. I used to live there. I am sure they are all very busy getting things cleaned up and trying to move on as if nothing got wet...
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

I clean ours once each year (Yes because of the refub I have not started ours yet) A little grease on the rack, and a check to see I can see a slide (I figure if I can see it the students will). If not I put it to one side, and a get a chap to look at it. I only polish the lens, grease the rack every other year, clean the stage of dust. Then glass cleaning spray all the lens and mirrors etc. Wipe down and cover up until next time.

I have never pulled then apart. Be very careful of the prims do not move them.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
laurena grieger
State/Location: SA

Post by laurena grieger »

I clean them myself, however I will not pull them apart. I sent some of our microscopes away for calibrating and service at the end of last year, and I will send some others off at the end of this year. I record with a sticker when they were sent and that they have been calibrated. We will keep sending them off to be serviced.
Laurena
Waikerie High School
SA