acid bay design

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Tina
State/Location: NSW

acid bay design

Post by Tina »

Hi
I was just wondering about acid bays in the newly refurbished labs. What do they look like?

I was given a new chem store room a few years ago and the architect told us he had designed it according to standards (which?). I now have to concentrated acids on stone (?) shelves at head height. :yuck:
My prep area consists of a a very large metal sink with virtually no bench space on either side of it, in a corner of a very small chem store room. The sink is at mid thigh height (too low to be useful) and the tap doesn't extend into the sink properly. The ventilation consists of an extraction vent behind me to my right (i.e. I get to stand between the acids that I am preparing, and the ventilation shaft). When I expressed my concerns about this set up I was told that the extractor was so strong I would never smell a thing and that this was how it was meant to be.

Now my metal sink is looking very sad and sorry (corroded) and on monday I got a big whiff of concentrated HCl. My throat is still sore. Normally I stand sideways so that I am not directly between the acid and the vent. But this time I emptied the bottle and decided to put it down on the little bit of space next to the sink to my left. I forgot that that would put me in the line of fire. I was wearing a face shield but obviously I should be wearing a respirator as well because the fumes got sucked up by the extractor right up under my face mask in a big rush. Try fitting a respirator under a face shield. (well actually I have found a smaller one now which may help but still leaves my face at some risk of splashing because you cant pull the face shield all the way down.
Give me an old fashioned fume cupboard any day. I do not like this set up!
What does everyone else have?
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Re: acid bay design

Post by smiley »

OMGGM! Flee! Run away now! OH&S picnic, it seems to me.

We had architects thru here last year, and they suggested a work space in the chem store, and I'm certain (although my memory could be faulty) that I said "Oh HELL no!" before my edit program on my frontal lobes had time to kick in. :w00t:
Cheers, K 8-)
dino

Post by dino »

Hi Tina,
I have never made a comment on here before, but after reading your message I could not help it.
Everything you described is totally illegal. Acids should be stored on the floor. Your sink should be ceramic. You should have a fume cupboard. I have been doing this for over 28 years and I have never heard of such an unsafe work environment.
Is your school Gov. or private?
Dino
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

Post by Rowyrow »

ahh the weird and wonderful ideas of the architecht. I have one of those useless sinks aswell except its knee height, I currently have a big ply board over the top of it so I can atleats use it as a storage bench! Remember I also have a shower curtain rail around my emergency shower????!!!!! :?
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Row!

Shower rail! :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: Still makes me laugh, even though it's old news!
Cheers, K 8-)
Tina

Post by Tina »

Well at least with your shower curtain rail you could be very discrete in the case of needing a shower (assuming you have a shower curtain). Hey, you could even ride your bike in and have a shower and change before starting work. Very practical!

We got to see the plans before they were built but didnt get to talk to the architect. Neither the head teacher nor I picked up how low or big the sink would be or any of the finer details like lack of overhead suction, lack of safe storage for acids. When I saw the plans I thought there was a cupboard under the sink for storing acids but no, that turned out to be a useless (?) bricked in area. I dont know about you but I find it hard to change lines on a page into a 3D reality when there's noone there to help interpret or ask questions from.
I have reported it and asked that it be made an ohS issue. I am not sure yet what will come of it. I wont be doing any more work there.
Thanks
Tina
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

Post by Rowyrow »

probably wouldn't there is not drain in the shower! and no curtain just the rail :?
lada

Post by lada »

I always wonder about the drain in the shower. We have drains, which is good in case of testing and turning them on about once a term, but if there was a real spill, all that contamination would be washed down the pipes and onto our lovely Sydney beaches #-o
Lada :coffee:
Tina

Post by Tina »

Hi Lada
Someone just passed on a brochure to me for a drain filter made of polypropelyne fabric and organic absorbent sock that captures contaminates whilst allowing water to flow through. I dont think I'm allowed to pass on the website on the brochure. Looks like you may be able to fit retroactively?
Tina
(if you want details I could send them)