Fingerprinting

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
vlclabbie
Job Title: Lab Chick
Suburb: Albury
State/Location: NSW

Fingerprinting

Post by vlclabbie »

Hi all! We have a fingerprinting prac tomorrow & one uses gentian violet (seeing latent prints) - we don't have any (typical!) so I was wondering what everyone else uses? Thanks!
ri

Re: Fingerprinting

Post by ri »

Just stamp pads
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

Post by Rowyrow »

Just get them to colour in their finger with a texta and print onto paper, Kept me occupies in school! :D
bindibadgi
Suburb: Kensington Park
State/Location: SA

Post by bindibadgi »

Eeeeek!!! :hitthefan:

Don't let them use gentian violet! The stuff will turn anything that comes into contact with it, including the kids, purple for weeks :cheesy:
Entertaining, but a real pain to try & clean up.

We do junior forensic pracs & get fingerprints by rubbing a pencil (6B works great) on a piece of paper, lifting the prints off with sticky tape & smoothing the tape onto a white card.
bindibadgi
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

We do a variety. Firstly we rub ordinary pencil on very fine sandpaper, the kids put their fingers on it, then press them onto white paper. We compare that with charcoal (or the old carbon blocks that are in my storeroom). We do stamp pads and white paper. We do chalk on black paper, and finally we do fingerprints on new pieces of OHP sheet, and develop them in a fish tank with ammonia and superglue. :thumbup:
Cheers, K 8-)
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin

Post by Lyn »

Latent prints -
shiny black surface or garbag - dust with calcium carbonate
shiny clear surface - use black powder (carbon is a bit of a no no)
filter paper - I have glass jars that students hang strips of filter paper over edge of jar which has a small amount of iodine crystals in the bottom. Screw lid on and watch the fingerprint appear. Make sure they have wiped their finger across the bridge of their nose, forehead or face ie, wherever they have any oily skin before they make their print on the filter paper.
shiny hard surface - super glue will show prints if hard surface is enclosed within a container which has super glue added to it. It's the fumes from the super glue which show up the prints.
Lyn.
Voice
State/Location: VIC

Post by Voice »

If you really do want Gentian Violet then maybe the local pharmacy might have some to sell (they used to). It is also called Crystal Violet.
Maree
Robdean
School: Lismore High School
Suburb: Lismore

Post by Robdean »

Ha, I remember at uni when we were doing a prac assessment identifying bacteria when the lecturer sidled up to me and advised me not to touch my face again as I'd just put a big splotch of crystal violet on my cheek!! Didn't I feel silly! It did take some time to wear off!!
vlclabbie
Job Title: Lab Chick
Suburb: Albury

Post by vlclabbie »

Thanks everyone :thumbup:

Yup was after gentian for latent prints - you don't put them on your fingers, you use it to develop invisible prints.

Some fab ideas! :thumbup:

Cheers, Kel
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin

Post by Lyn »

Can you post the procedure for using gentian violet to process latent fingerprints please. I haven't heard of this particular prac and would be interested to try it out and perhaps suggest it to the teachers if it works well.
Thanks, Lyn.