Protease ?

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
sammy
Job Title: Lab Tech
State/Location: WA

Protease ?

Post by sammy »

Hi everyone

I have a teacher doing a prac next week using protease ? I have had a look around but cannot find any, so I have rang our supplyer but even they weren't sure so I am waiting to hear back :-( Just wondering if anyone has purchased any recently and also if I do get my hands on some how do I mix it up to a solution and how long does it last :? :?

Thanks heaps guy;s :D :D
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo
State/Location: NSW

Re: Protease ?

Post by rae »

I'm pretty sure pepsin is a protease enzyme used in the digestion of protein. In school labs we do it with egg white.

Do you have any of that??
Make up a 1% solution in water and I would discard it when you are finished the prac!!

Lorrae
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

Did you try Southern Biological? They have protease listed as:
Protease, bacterial 20g.
Lyn
sammy
Job Title: Lab Tech
State/Location: WA

Post by sammy »

This prac actually askes for both egg white suspension and 1% gastric protease solution packed in ice. I have heard back from my supplier and they can supply it in a 100ml liquid form. Thank goodness :D but prob wont have it for bout two weeks so now teacher has to move some prac's around :-({|= poor thing :D
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo
State/Location: NSW

Post by rae »

The egg white is the substrate and the pepsin is the enzyme which will digest the egg white.