and any other non-chem subjects.
kimmy
Job Title: School Lab Assistant
School: Quirindi High School
Suburb: Quirindi
State/Location: NSW

How to store mumified cat

Post by kimmy »

Students at our school found a dead cat last year under our hall 8O , it had been there for a long long time and has been mumified I suppose you would call it. It is in perfect condition but no one here knows how we could keep it as it is a real hit with the students in the science department and we are not sure if now that it is open to fresh air what will happen to it. Maybe we could set it in some resin of some sort. Any ideas :idea: . It stinks a bit but not to bad but we would love to store it somehow????? :?:
Vick
Job Title: Lab Assistant

How to store mumified cat

Post by Vick »

Hi Kim

One of my Science teachers found a mumified cat (in perfect order) a couple of years ago. We now store it at the back of her lab. She layed the cat on a piece of very thick white cardboard and attached it with fishing line, (put small holes in the cardboard in several places and threaded the line around the cat and through the holes).

I had my niece who goes to Quirindi High down during the holidays (Daisy Robinson).

Vicki
ri

Mumified animals

Post by ri »

Hello,
we are the proud? custodians of a mumified tortoise. It is so old it doesn't even smell anymore but is a huge hit with the students as it looks so real and doesn't weigh much at all of course.
The effect is very much like I would expect the freeze drying method of preserving animals would do.
I would put some naphthalene (NOT mothballs) inside the stomach cavity of your cat to improve the odour. Perhaps also contact a museum and ask their advice....talk about donating your body to Science......
~Robyn
Julia
State/Location: WA

Post by Julia »

Hi everyone,

Trying to get back in the swing of things but it is hard.

Along the same lines as mummified cats and that,
I have a real skeleton that needs to be put to rest somewhere....
Giving it a burial is out of the question, the police don't see the humour in digging up skeletons. :giggle:
I believe there is a company that takes them and gives you a discount on new skeletons.

Has anyone have any ideas?????

Cheers
Julz
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

Over the Hols went to Canberra to Egypt exhibition
They had a couple of mummified cats.
Couldn't smell anything He He!
coxy

Old Skeletons

Post by coxy »

Hi Julia,
There is a company in Melbourne (Richmond area) called Mentone Education and they take old skeletons for new (but I am not sure about old REAL skeletons). They gave us $100 refund for our old one (which was headless) and we bought a brand new one a couple of years ago.

Perhaps you could contact the local hospital, or rescue services where they train volunteers, perhaps they could use it for demonstrations. Along the same lines, my chiropractor was looking for a real skeleton for many years, but finally had to purchase a plastic model.

Sue
Julia

Post by Julia »

Cheers Coxy,

We also have a couple of dodgy skeletons that need updating, So that's good to know.

The real skeleton is incomplete as it was vandilised a few years ago, but I can't help feeling that it was a real person and deserves to be put to rest.
:-(
Teresa

Skeletons

Post by Teresa »

Hi Julia and others,
Welcome back to all for another school year.
The anatomy departments of universities might be interested in real skeletons. They are accustomed to having real bodies that have been donated for scientific purposes and adhere to guidelines that maintain respect for the deceased. My daughter studied Human Biology at Curtin and I know that they had certain protocols regarding these matters. Try Curtin or UWA and then let us know if this is an option for others who might be in the same situation.
Kind Regards
Teresa
Julia

Post by Julia »

Hi Teresa,

I'll get back to you soon.
I'm under the pump a bit at the mo.
Typical of this time of year all systems go.

Thanks
Julz