New To Lab Land

for anything else that doesn't fit.
sammy
Job Title: Lab Tech
State/Location: WA

New To Lab Land

Post by sammy »

Hi all,

First let me say what a god sent chemtalk has been to me :clap3: I'm a first time labbie with absolutly NO experience and have taken over from someone who was in the job for 16YEARS :w00t:

WOW I tell you it has been hard going not knowing the ins and outs of things as simple as what can go down the sink and what can't ? :-(

Thankfully i'm heading to my first course ( chemical safety ) on Wednesday and hopefully [-o< will come back with a bit more insight and confidence :wink2:

Does any one over here in the west know of any other corses or PD day's that us Labbies can head on ? If so I would love to hear from you. !!!!
Thanks again for the help

Sammy
kimmy
Job Title: School Lab Assistant
School: Quirindi High School
Suburb: Quirindi
State/Location: NSW

Re: New To Lab Land

Post by kimmy »

Hi Sammy,
Just keep on asking for help when ever needed and remember they are the teachers and they normally ask you because they dont know how to do something so dont feel stupid or incapable as they are qualified teachers. Well thats what I keep on telling myself if i get in a pickle but im lucky i have great teachers who help me out when ever stuck. i still think that we have the best job in the school. :clap3: \:D/
Have you the "The Laboratory" - a science reference & preparation manual for schools" by Barbara Dungey? If so refer to it it is our Bible so to speak.

Can not help as for courses over there sorry.

KIMMY
Didee

Post by Didee »

Hi Sammy
Hunt your shelves for a white file with a green spine insert "Science Laboratory Manual". Created just for us in WA by our wonderful Regional Technicians. Also go online and use the RTG website, they are our best resource over here in the west. Things get easier over time, so hang in there and have fun. Our job is really great (most of the time)
Diana :D
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager
State/Location: NSW

Post by Ocean Breeze »

welcome Sammy :D

You will soon discover that some of us are a bit more sane than others :crazy:

Insanity not a job requirement, but sure helps :clap3: :coffee:
bindibadgi
Suburb: Kensington Park
State/Location: SA

Post by bindibadgi »

Welcome Sammy!

You'll get quickly addicted to Chemtalk.......& you'll find all kinds of resources & support.

I only joined in May this year, but I've learned a lot.......& laughed a lot too! :cheesy:
It's strange but somehow comforting that us labbies seem to share similar 'quirky' :crazy: senses of humour.

At Chemtalk you get both educated & entertained - how can you not love it? :clap3:

Ask away whenever you have a puzzle to solve, & someone here is sure to have the answers you need.

Cheers,

Kiah
bindibadgi
Hilly

Post by Hilly »

Hi Sammy We will look out for you tomorrow we are going to the Chem Safety Course as well, When you get there we are the THREE AMIGOS from Safety bay. Hilary Philipa and Sue. You are definately going to the right place to find out the info you need.
See ya tomorrow
Hilly
sammy
Job Title: Lab Tech

Post by sammy »

Hi all

Thanks heaps for your words of wisdom :clap3: they have all come in very handy and YES I have finally found our " Science Lab Manual " which has been great :D

And a big HI to you Hilary :thumbup: I had a great time at the course last week and I found it SOoooooo helpful. I take my hat off to the Regional Technician's =D> =D> =D> What a lovely group of women with so much knowledge to share with us. I wish I could bundle them up and bring them home with me :cheesy: :cheesy: