A general discussion and Q & A forum.
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo
State/Location: NSW

Cleaning Porcelain crucibles

Post by rae »

Help,

How do I clean porcelain crucibles that have had magnesium heated/burnt in them :?:
Any ideas greatfully accepted.
JudyM

Re: Cleaning Porcelain crucibles

Post by JudyM »

You could try using conc HCl. I put them in the sink & use a dropper containing 5M Hydrochloric acid. Watch out, it will spark so make sure you wear safety glasses. You may need to use 10M & leave it for a couple of days. Try using a scourer after you wash the acid out. It may not remove everything but it does help. This is something I invented myself, but maybe others have a safer alternative.
Steph

Post by Steph »

I don't have a safer alternative to HCl, but strong nitric acid is quite good. Again you need to take care and it is a good idea to do this in the fume cupboard.
Barb

cleaning cruicible

Post by Barb »

you guys are a lot braver then i am. i just wash them out and scrub them the best that i can and then keep them separate to be used for magnesium only. not the best solution either but one that works for us. Barb
Robb

Alternate Cleaning Solution

Post by Robb »

Another good cleaning aid is Hot Con. Sulfuric Acid.

Place enough Acid into the crucible to submerse the stain then heat this using the technique for heating crucible on top of a Bunsen until it boils. Let this stand until the stain is completely gone.

Otherwise allow for a few days and rinse the crucibles thoroughly and use a scourer to easily remove the solid material.

Just be cautious, due to the hot H[sub]2[/sub]SO[sub]4[/sub].
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

Hey Fella's
Look at the cost of a crucible + the dangers involved, they are a disposable item, just scrub out and for badly stained ones break up for "porous pot"
Cheers
juliem

Re - porcelain crucibles

Post by juliem »

Before spending time cleaning; - thoroughly check the condition of the crucible in particular the underside for cracks or suspect damage. A firm tap on the "crack" will quickly identify the integrity of the crucible and save fracturing during future use.
Cleaning is any of the above but with consideration to the use of a fume cupboard, following safety procedures and the "comfort zone" of the lab assistant.
IF IN DOUBT< THROW OUT
Last edited by juliem on 20 Jun 2006, 18:58, edited 1 time in total.
Robb

Strong stains in Crucibles

Post by Robb »

If you wish to escape having to clean the Crucibles entirely, particularly with strong acids, then keep these aside for use only for that particular experiment. That way you know that a quick clean to remove any loose material will be sufficient.
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
Zali

Cleaning

Post by Zali »

Hello everyone.
I am a new Labbie. (2 weeks). I am here on my own while the permanent Labbie has taken holidays.
My question is - I have numerous crucible with what looks like burnt magnesium ribbon stains.
Does anyone have any idea how to clean them?
I am looking forward to evolving into a real labbie where I look at road kill in a new light.
Zali

Post by Zali »

Thank you to everyone's idea's. :clap3:
I think keep them aside for next year sounds good.
I do have chemistry experience but not confident about using high molar acids.
I am looking forward to everyone's input next year hopefully when I get some permanent days or a full time job!
Cheers
CC
Job Title: Labbie
School: Goulburn High School
Suburb: Goulburn

Post by CC »

Hi All, holidays are nearly upon us, yeah :clap3: But before you go can anyone help with how to clean silver nitrate, sulphur, sodium hydroxide out of crucibles or do i just throw them away.

Thanks for any assistance
Cindy
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

why woul you have silver nitrate and sodium hydroxide in crucibles? we never did anything like that.
Cheers Jazz
CC
School: Goulburn High School
Suburb: Goulburn

Post by CC »

Because I have "special" teachers. :whistling2: No it was to test electricity in the the solid, molten and/or aqueous states. I don't think he realises how much silver nitrate costs, he half filled 2 crucibles and then melted it what a waste. #-o
dime

Post by dime »

Mmm...can't say I've ever had to clean those things out of crucibles either, but just clean out any residues by washing, soaking or scraping. Don't worry about stains. Our seem to crack easily and are therefore thrown out regularly. I used to soak test tubes with melted sulfur stuck to them, in 2m sodium hydroxide for a couple of days and it would come off easily. You could try with the crucibles, just not sure whether porcelain and glass will clean the same.
Ask the special teacher if it is in the syllabus. We only test the solids here, not molten or aqueous.
I have made sulfur blocks for electrical testing: just heat sulfur till molten and poor into ice block tray. They have kept for years, but are now getting broken so will soon have to make some more.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

for melting experiment you can use metal lid (Milo tin)
Cheers Jazz
Krysia Lee
School: Brigidine College
Suburb: St Ives

Post by Krysia Lee »

Hi Everyone
I haven't had time to get on here for most of the term. Hope all is well with everyone. This is time consuming I guess but what I have done a few times with crubiles that have been stained is put some water, sand and a magnetic stirrer in the crucible and leave the on the hot plate/stirrer spinning away for awhile and it often works a treat, sometimes if the stain is particularly bad it doesn't though.