Heating coils

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
vlclabbie
Job Title: Lab Chick
Suburb: Albury
State/Location: NSW

Heating coils

Post by vlclabbie »

Hi Guys,

I need to make some heating coils to go in a 250ml beaker & we have none already made - just wondering what you all use to make yours?

Thanks! :D
Rita

Re: Heating coils

Post by Rita »

Hi

We have nichrome wire wound around a small test tube to make coil, leaving enough wire either side of coil to hang onto edge of beaker.

Rita
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

I wrapped nichrome wire around a pencil making a coil of about an inch in length with wire at both ends long enough to go over the edge of the beaker. From memory the ones that I made with thick nichrome wire kept flicking the overload switch on the power pack. Best to experiment with the different thickness wires you have in stock. I think it was the thinner wire that worked best. Attach to power pack using leads with alligator clips. Sorry that I can't tell you the gauge of wire that I used. The information fell off the reel years ago.
Lyn.
tuesday
Job Title: Lab Tech
State/Location: ACT

Post by tuesday »

We have nichrome wire wrapped around a small glass tubing that is hollow so that it is inside then coiled around the outside too only using one piece. If that makes sense.
vlclabbie
Job Title: Lab Chick
Suburb: Albury

Post by vlclabbie »

Thanks guys! Looks like I'll be off to get some nichrome wire! :-)

Here's the karma.......... yep there it goes...... did you get it???! :thumbup: