Ebony Rods

and any other non-chem subjects.
MariaC
School: Central Coast Grammar School
Suburb: Erina Heights
State/Location: NSW

Ebony Rods

Post by MariaC »

Hi Guys :D Hoping to get some ideas from out there in labland. We are having trouble getting much of a charge from our ebony rods (are they really ebony??) any suggestions to increase the charge, we use wool cloth, some of the rods are matt some gloss finish does this mean anything :-| Yours again in anticipation \:D/ MariaC
Sassi

Re: Ebony Rods

Post by Sassi »

Just a question.. what is the weather like today over there? Humid weather would affect the charge...
Judy R
State/Location: QLD

Post by Judy R »

Put all the cloths and the rods in a drying oven at a temperature similar to a clothes dryer for about 20mins...works wonders.
Failing that dry off cloths and rods using a hair dryer.
The hair dryer works on the dome of the Van de Graaf if it is a high humidity day as well
dime

Post by dime »

I think the rods are actually ebonite, possibly or probably made from bakelite! All the ones we use are smooth and shiny. The ones we have in store and not used yet are dull. Are you using the correct cloth with the correct rod? Ebonite with wool and perspex with silk.
MariaC
School: Central Coast Grammar School
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by MariaC »

:clap3: Thanks for those thoughts guys, we had had alot of rain but the perpex rods worked fine, and yes we are using the correct cloth with the rods :wink2: I think I'll try heating as suggested and see how that goes. Ill keep you posted :thumbup: cheers Maria
ri

Post by ri »

Hi,
you may wish to try a wash in soapy water to remove any grease from little fingers?
Sigh - more cleaning.... :boring:
~Robyn