and any other non-chem subjects.
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Won't do that again!

Post by Lyn »

Dissecting hearts in year 8 yesterday. Decided to soak the used equipment overnight in 50/50 solution of bleach and water. Came in this morning to find brown sludge in the bottom of container. All the nice shiny scissors were tarnished. Two of the probes had disintegrated several others had the handles corroded and the rest were black. All the scalpel handles were discoloured. :cry2: Spent three quarters of an hour scrubbing everything with steel wool to try and make them shiny again. Soapy water next time.
Lyn.
:lol: I think I April fooled myself. :lol:
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes
State/Location: NSW

Re: Won't do that again!

Post by noona »

Hi Lyn
I did the same thing a few years ago and now warm soapy water is the only thing I use
Noona :yuck: :yuck:
bindi

Post by bindi »

A good tip I learnt a few years back...
If you dont have time to was them up eg last period. pop tools in a ice container, put on the lid and place in the fridge.
No rust! :wink2:
I have done it over a weekend as well when only Part Time
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

I like the idea of the fridge. Though it might be a problem remembering them after a destressing weekend. :drunk:
Lyn.

P.S. It just goes to show that no matter how long you've been in the job you can still manage to stuff things up.
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

I made that mistake Once!
Now I put under Metho and glad wrap :-(
kimmy
Job Title: School Lab Assistant
School: Quirindi High School
Suburb: Quirindi

Post by kimmy »

Yes I pop in freezer than does not matter if you dont get to them for a few days.

We all learn by our smelly smelly mistakes. :yuck:

KIM
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga

Post by Loopy »

Amen to that Kimmy! Been there done that, even left milk in lab fridge over X-mas holidays...
EEeeeuuwww! :yuck:
Lou P.
Wayne
School: Mount Carmel College
Suburb: Sandy Bay
State/Location: TAS

Post by Wayne »

I left the scapels in bleach over night once and came back the next day to brown sludge at the bottom of the container. I can remember thinking why did I think that was a good idea at the time! :unsure:

I've now always managed to clean up before I've left for the day.

I've also left milk in the fridge for a couple of months, but the worst bit was that I forgot it had been in there for so long and thought I had only just bought and got it out for an experiment. :oops: I almost fainted when I opened the lid! Even worse though, was that I then poured it down the sink (what was I thinking!!)! The smell then hung around for days.
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

The first time I made up Bromine water (early days in the job, & casual, being talked through it at the last minute by an impatient teacher, who simply drew me a picture of what to do ..... ya da ya da ya da...) - they just forgot to tell me not to clean everything up straight away - oops! :crazy: :yuck: :shock:

Luckily it was sports afternoon

But hey, today's Thursday - next week we'll be laughing, yay :clap3: =D> :giggle: :cheesy:
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
Sassi

Post by Sassi »

I won't be running my computer, printer, phone, radio and my heater from the same powerboard again #-o Now some brilliant soul, and it definetly could not have been ME, decided that was a great idea.... Turned out to be not such a great idea when the whole thing caught fire :clap3: Luckily I was standing there at the time and could avoid any major incident, now all that burnt down was my pride :cry2: What an idiot, I can still hear the maintenance guy laugh at me :banghead2:

Sass :blush2:
Ocker

Post by Ocker »

And then you go and advertise your stupidity on chemtalk, " Iwonder about you Sassi" Good job we're all friends! :clap3:
Sassi

Post by Sassi »

Welll I had to tell someone, and I most certainly wont be telling any of the teachers, I would never live it down #-o Well I wonder about myself too, OFTEN, see I am extremely smart, 163 IQ and top of the class at uni, but then I am also so incredibly stupid sometimes, I think it should be closer to 63 instead.... Oh well, I guess its cause I am a blonde :cheesy:

Sass :crazy:
Ocker

Post by Ocker »

Does that prospective husband know what he's letting himself in for?
One thing it won't be boring!
Sassi

Post by Sassi »

:cheesy: you crack me up Ocker!!! :cheesy:

Yeah I think he does, and if not, it certainly isn't my fault, we've been together for 6 yrs, if he hasn't figured it out yet, he can only blame himself :cheesy:

Sass :blush2:
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

When is the big day Sass?

Robbie
Sassi

Post by Sassi »

18th July!!! Its in Sweden and I am going home in 7 weeks now, but who's counting :D
lada

Post by lada »

And guess what!! Future mother in law, father in law, sister inlaw and brother in law just have to fly to sweden for the wedding and have a gret holiday as well. It is a hard job, but someone got to do it. :cheesy:
Lada :coffee:
Almost forgot, i am the mother in law to be.
Ocker

Post by Ocker »

That's what I call "keeping it in the family"
vlclabbie
Job Title: Lab Chick
Suburb: Albury

Post by vlclabbie »

:cheesy: Thanks for the laugh guys! I needed a laugh today - it's one of those :shock:

I look forward to the day (& I know it will come.... ) when I can share my red face!!! :blush2:

Wish one of my relatives would get married overseas!!!! My bro in law is getting married in Sept... in the same town. Grrrrrrrrrrrr :boring: Congrats Sassi & lucky you Lada!! Sounds like lots of fun - will it be a traditional Swedish marriage Sassi?? Is there such a thing?? Tell us more...
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by fibreweb »

I actually find it somewhat amusing to be talking about weddings on a thread titled "Won't do that again" :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Wendy