Laboratory Officer

Any discussions concerning the job go here.
Mother
Job Title: Science lab. technician
School: Dubbo College/Senior Campus
Suburb: Dubbo
State/Location: NSW

Laboratory Officer

Post by Mother »

In NSW we have just had a name change from Lab.Assistant to Laboratory Officer. However having read the other titles I now prefer Laboratory Manager We all are important to the teachers and this name makes us sound very important too!!!
Steph

Post by Steph »

My official title at school is Laboratory Manager as our HoD thinks it is more appropriate to what we do. I like Laboratory Technician as I feel it reflects the training & qualifications we have. However, neither title comes with sufficient remuneration!
cookie
State/Location: WA

Laboratory Officer

Post by cookie »

In Western Australia the job title has been changed to Laboratory Technician which I feel happy with. Depending on the years of service a distinction should be made between Junior Laboratory Technicians and Senior Laboratory Technicians eg. Junior for first 5 years of service and then Senior for above 5 years maybe. What do you think? :lol:
Kath

Our title

Post by Kath »

I have been a laboratory worker for over 40 years. In that time I have worked in the public system, a University and at the moment in a private school. I started at a very tender age as a Laboratory Attendant. I progressed to Laboratory Assistant, onto Laboratory Technician then onto Laboratory Manager.
After all that, the title I prefer is Laboratory Technician because I think it covers all aspects of a very demanding and responsible position.
Regards Kath.
Last edited by Kath on 02 Jun 2006, 13:01, edited 1 time in total.
Ros
State/Location: VIC

Our Title

Post by Ros »

I much prefer Laboratory Manager as I spend my day "manageing " teachers who have trouble organising themselves. As well, I do all the Admin work for science. After all teachers should do what they do best and that is teach and leave the organistion and managment of stock and finances to we who have been trained in that area.
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Phantoms

Post by Ocker »

At this point in time have 428 votes and membership list of 346.
Who's cheating on the voting
Sam
State/Location: NT

Post by Sam »

I really dont care what the job title is. It is the training, surport and pay that intrest me. I have a deploma of Lab Skills from TAFE, but there are others who have degrees and others who have no training. There is no surport for those starting out in NT. i know in WA they have a regional lab tech and that helps. And putting it bluntly the pay sucks for what we do. Well that is my bitch.

Sam
coxy

Post by coxy »

I'm with Sam. I love what I do, the variety, the busy and quiet times, the mixing, sorting, ordering and stocktakes (I do all chemicals, equipment, stationery, textbooks, exam papers for the entire Science Dept) - I couldn't care less what title I am given. I know whenever someone comes in and asks for the Head of Science, all the Science teachers here just say "See Sue", even the HT occasionally. What is really in a name, it doesn't change our wages, hours, conditions or anything else.
Maureen

Post by Maureen »

coxy wrote:I'm with Sam. I love what I do, the variety, the busy and quiet times, the mixing, sorting, ordering and stocktakes (I do all chemicals, equipment, stationery, textbooks, exam papers for the entire Science Dept) - I couldn't care less what title I am given. I know whenever someone comes in and asks for the Head of Science, all the Science teachers here just say "See Sue", even the HT occasionally. What is really in a name, it doesn't change our wages, hours, conditions or anything else.
Hi I'm fairly new to this wonderful tool we have been given, it is nice to hear people doing the same job how they feel about it, some days we are really appreciated and other days forgotten, as far as the title of the job I voted for Lab Technician just thought it had a better ring to it and sounds quite professional!! But coxy Im wondering what your doing at work at 7.30am WOW 8.30 start for me, bein doing this position for about 3 years and Love It!!
Maureen
DJ

Post by DJ »

My name tag states that I'm the Science Technician. I really don't mind what I'm classed as, but Laboratory Manager most DEFINITELY describes what I do!

Yup! The teachers do the teaching but they sure do seem happy to leave all the non-teaching management to me.

It works well!
chemical
Job Title: SASS
School: Karabar High
Suburb: Queanbeyan

Re: Laboratory Officer

Post by chemical »

HI to all
well I have been doing the lab assistant job for 6 terms now at Karabar and following my previous 3 terms at Queanbeyan High :wub: and does that mean that as a casual or on contact as I am now after a lot of fuss. I am solely responsible for the 6 labs 3 prep rooms that is 12 teachers and never out of things to do.
Can anyone advise me on what rate I should be on as my payslip only reads SASS employee no rank etc
Thank you
Lindy #-o
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

Hi Gang

Just wondering when /how/who changed our titles?
AIs this a statewide DET schools thing?
I had my title changed last yearish, to Support Services

I now feel like a fireman , paramedic ,auditor or Private Eye.

What do you guys think?

oops edited to make legible!
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Welcome back every one, Most of us in NSW return to work today. I did not know we had a name change. I must say Laboratory Manager, does seem to cover it all. On reading all the remarks, there was a voting thing??????? where did it go??
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

This thread started back in 2006...
kimmy
Job Title: School Lab Assistant
School: Quirindi High School
Suburb: Quirindi

Post by kimmy »

As long as I have a job these days I think that is the main thing and I tell people the easiest way to explain what I do is that I am the school Science Assistant and I think that covers what I do. We can all try to have a large fancy name but as long as we have a name, a JOB, and do what is required of us that is the main thing. And I think that in the school we have the best job going. :clap3: :clap3: :clap3:

KIMMY
Vicki L
School: Murrumburrah High School
Suburb: HARDEN

Post by Vicki L »

I'm with Kimmy. Working in the school system is great. I thought we were SAO's (school assistant officers). Whatever we're called, I love being here.
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

oh, I didnt notice the thread start date!
Sharls
Job Title: Laboratory Manager
School: Clarence Valley Anglican School
Suburb: Grafton

Post by Sharls »

So who actually makes the decision to change our titles? When I go to my HT and say my title has officially changed from Lab assistant to Lab officer (or Lab manager as I prefer) what can I back this up with?
I know I deserve the title manager I certainly manage the lab, the teachers, the budget, the stores etc....

Hope you all had a great break!

Sharlene :crazy:
coxy

Post by coxy »

As Vicki stated, I thought we all were SAO's (school assistant officers). There is no definitive difference in the job description for a school assistant working in the front Office, Library, Home Science or Science within the Dept of Education. We ALL get the same pay rate which I find unbelievable especially with the OH&S involved in our job, and the many and varied tasks which we complete. I doubt my SAM or any other SASS here would have a clue what I do on a daily, weekly or annual basis; it is something you have to experience to know the difference. I was a private secretary for 18 years in both the private sector and within the government, but this job has so much more variety (of the "dirty" kind) and certainly keeps the brain working.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

I agree with you Sue. We are SAO School Admin Officers, but once in Science, we use to be called Lab assistant, Now its Lab Officers. I must say I think with all that we do, Lab Manager, covers it all. We do Manager the prep rooms, store rooms, etc.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub: