fixing ammeters and voltmeters

and any other non-chem subjects.
Renee
State/Location: SA

fixing ammeters and voltmeters

Post by Renee »

Could anyone give me instructions on how to fix the bench top ammeters and volmeters? The fuse wires have blown and it hurts my head trying to think what I need to replace them with. :evil:
Sandy
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Morley SHS
Suburb: Noranda
State/Location: WA

Post by Sandy »

Hi Renee
Go to the WA RTg website
http://www.rtg.wa.edu.au/repairs/meters/meters.htm
it has a reasonable explaination the fuse wire that is generally nichrome which is cut at diffent lengths for different resistances but I not sure at this moment what the different lengths are.
Regards
Sandy
Renee
State/Location: SA

Post by Renee »

Thanks for the info Sandy. It is exactly what I was looking for. Now I just have to find some time to fix them all....

Renee
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Renee,

Chuck them out and buy digital multimeters from Dick Smith or just about anywhere. They simply show a negative reading if connected incorrectly, frequently cost less, and can be used as either ammeters or voltmeters, as required. I bought 2 sets, and spent some time educating my teachers on how to use them. They are also harder to blow up! We only keep benchtop meters for our Senior Physics classes now.

Smiley, Cairns
Sandy
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Morley SHS
Suburb: Noranda
State/Location: WA

Post by Sandy »

Hi
We also have sets of the digital multimeters, they work a treat and would recommend having, but you still have teachers who will insist on using the bench meters regardless of how much PD you give them
Regards
Sandy :lol:
CarolF
State/Location: NSW

Post by CarolF »

Jim Cardigan from Scientrific calls in here annually and we have him repair meters, microscopes, collision trolleys and lots of other equipment. He has all the necessary spares and is not too expensive. I understand that he sometimes attends the conferences so you may catch him there, otherwise his email address is <URL removed, see forum rules>]