Bunsen hoses

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
RICEPAPER170487
State/Location: NSW

Bunsen hoses

Post by RICEPAPER170487 »

Hi, I've been told by another labby that there is a general length that the hoses for bunsen burners should be...for safety reasons of course. I was also told that you are only supposed to use PVC tubing for the hoses too. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this.
Thanks
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Re: Bunsen hoses

Post by Labbie »

Rubber tubbing cracks and splits to easly. The clear PVC is much better for the bunsen;s. Not to sure on the required length?? Sorry
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

I did not know there was a length :-o and as long as you get lots of money to change over to the clear tubing go for it =D> or like us here no money for such things I will say I have got a little and am slowly changing over year by year. :cry2: :cry2:
Noona
I wish the Dept would give us lots of money to nice things we need :giggle: :giggle: [-o< [-o<
SGG

Post by SGG »

Hello fellow labbies
I don't think there is a specified length (just looked in CSIS section 3) but you don't want it too long or too short (sounds like Goldilock's porridge :-( ) for your particular gas tap setup - all of them are probably different. The ones I have here are different to the other schools I've been in. Also- do you find the PVC a bit stiff? My teachers prefer the rubber hose as it's more flexible.When they have used PVC in the past,the bunsens tended to tip over if the angle on the tap was wrong. I've never used it though.
Regards
Sue G
RICEPAPER170487

Post by RICEPAPER170487 »

Yeah the PVC is a bit stiff. But you just have to twist it a bit on either the gas tap or the bunsen and it will be fine. I've seen that some electrical cables now use silicone as the coating and claim that it is less dangerous in case of overheating and fire...I'm not sure how accurate that is but you're welcome to look it up. I mention this because I saw some silicone tubing when I was looking for the PVC stuff and I would assume that silicone is much more flexible than PVC. So some of you might like to try it out instead.

I was wondering why they were changing over to the PVC tubing and then i realised - Rubber burns, PVC melts #-o , therefore PVC is safer. (And by the way, I actually had to order the tubing and it came out of the science budget).

As to the length of the tubes, I was told by word of mouth that they had to be a certain length (obviously not exactly that length but as close as possible) and every time I ask someone about how long the tubes should be they have no idea. For safety reasons I don't want to make the tubes too long or too short, so if anyone has any ideas please let me know.
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

We use the thick-walled vacuum hose. It was recommended to me by a supplier, and it works for me. I judge the length based on where on the bench you'd like the bunsen to sit once it's plugged on to the gas tap. Nothing scientific about it really.
Cheers, K 8-)
Vicki L
School: Murrumburrah High School
Suburb: HARDEN

Post by Vicki L »

We use the clear PVC tubing and I was told by the previous labbie to go to 600mm for bunsen hose length.