Culture Broth.

and any other non-chem subjects.
judygee
State/Location: NSW

Culture Broth.

Post by judygee »

Dear All - must be my day for problems!! (second request!!!) We have purchased some E-coli and Staphylococcus broth for culturing: however the broth arrived in plastic vials, so how does one go about flaming the neck of the vial with the idea of streaking prepared agar plates. What do others do, do you pour the broth into a glass bottle and risk exposure to yourself or something that may have been in the reagent bottle!! Your input would be welcome. Cheers. Judy.
ri

Culture Broth

Post by ri »

Hello judygee,
It would be ideal to have some sterilised McCartney bottles prepared.
These are meant for cultures and being glass are easier to effect transfers.
If it were me, I would then prepare my workspace.
Wipe the bench space down with about 70% methylated spirits.
Close any doors to eliminate draughts.
Wear protective latex examination gloves and safety glasses.
Arrange all the cultures and plates for culturing in appropriate places in front of you.
It IS possible to transfer from plastic vials - just keep the vial tilted and flame VERY briefly.
Perhaps a phone call to the supplier could give more tips if there was no instructions enclosed.
Have fun,
~Robyn
Sheryl
State/Location: SA

Post by Sheryl »

You should have no problem flaming the neck of a plastic vial. Its not as if the vial is in the flame for long and the plastic vial is probably autoclavable anyway!
judygee

Culture Broth

Post by judygee »

Many thanks for your input Robyn and Sheryl, yes you are right the vials are autoclavable and therefore should be able to be passed through a flame without any problems. I also think it would be a good idea to keep some McCartney bottles on stand by! Once again, thanks for your advice, much appreciated. Cheers. Judy