MSDS Sorry

General announcements, eg upcoming science meetings, national lab tech seminars, Chemtalk announcements, etc.
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes
State/Location: NSW

MSDS Sorry

Post by noona »

Hi All
I hate to do this to you but you don't have to have a hard copy of a MSDS as after you have printed it of it could be out of date just like that.
The Dept (Glen Sawle said yesterday that we have chemwatch and that is all you need son stop printing the MSDS's of labbies and all you need to say is I can get them on Chemwatch)
The only time you need to print a MSDS is if the teacher wants one for a class that day and then you put it in the bin because it may be out of date by the end of the day)
I am sorry the bring you this news if you have already printed them
Noona :cry2: :cry2: :cry2:
P.S. this is for Dept school
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Re: MSDS Sorry

Post by Labbie »

Then why does the audit ask to see where they are stored, with a correct label etc, and have they been updated.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

Hi Sue
If you talk to Glen he will explain it better that me it is what he told us yesterday Sorry
Noona [-o< [-o<
glen.sawle@det.nsw.edu.au
I am just telling what he told us #-o #-o #-o
dime

Post by dime »

I must say that at audit, I have never been asked for MSDS, just a chemical register/stocktake. And have never printed off MSDS for that very reason, that chemwatch is a few clicks away.
Sassi

Post by Sassi »

I think this Glen guy should put this in writing so that we have a leg to stand on when we get audited and the demand to see the MSDS. Until I am 200% positive and have heard from more than one source, I think its best to be on the safe side and stick to RA and MSDS. More work for me but at least my a-s will be safe :)

Sass
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Yes sorry Noona, it was good of you to tell us, I am sorry.
Regards Labbie

dime

Post by dime »

I should have added, thanks Noona for clarifying both of those issues for us. I feel better now about the decisions I made ages ago about not my responsibility to do RA's and that MSDS are better on a computer than a massive hard copy file.
Sassi

Post by Sassi »

Yes thank you Noona :)

I have another question, what happens if there is an accident and you cannot get onto chemwatch??? The number of times that I have not been able to get on to the chemwatch site... What do you do then. And there could be other computer problems, not to mention internet failures... What happens in those situations?

Sass :D
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

SASSI,
WE MUST BE TWINS SEPARATED AT BIRTH THOUGH BORN IN DIFFERENT COUNTIRES AS i WAS THINKING THE SAME THING ALSO CHEMWATCH CAN BE SO SLooooW AT TIMES THAT IT IS JUST EASIER TO PICK A FOLDER OFF THE SHELF.

Lorrae
cheltie

Post by cheltie »

Hi everyone,
I am totally confused as one of the things that they picked us up on at our audit before last was the fact that even though we had a chemical register and a spare copy at the front office we only had MSDS copies in science. We were told we needed to have them at the front office for the fire brigade, police etc.
They said you need to have a hard copy in case of fire etc when (as people have said) the computer may not be working.
Perhaps Glen Sawle and the dept. could send out a letter to all principals clarifying this issue.
Helen
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

I have emailed Glen, just to let you all know, but unsure as to when I will get a answer from him.
Regards Labbie

Robdean
School: Lismore High School
Suburb: Lismore

Post by Robdean »

Yes, wouldn't that be a great idea. Ever since this CSIS was introduced there has been confusion as to what is actually required!
rell
State/Location: VIC

Post by rell »

Hi everyone, can i ask a question? When people say they have had an audit is that audit done by the dept or worksafe or the NSW equivelent.
Here audits involving risk assessments or msds are done by worksafe, the dept is not involved at all
Narelle Divola
Irymple Secondary College
Irymple Vic
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

I will have to ask the SAM, I have no idea where they came from, just know they come each year or so.
Regards Labbie

Labbie

Post by Labbie »

This is taken from CSIS on line, I have not over typed on any thing, I just copy & Pasted, but it may only add to the confusion.

Chemtalk, please have a great weekend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards Labbie

Robb

Post by Robb »

C

Could I raise an important issue with this,

What happens when the computer network is down or there is/are power outages. Etc.

Cheers,

Robb.....
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

I was told, for the reason Robb raises, that we must have hard copies of all MSDSs in Science AND also in the clinic.

What confusion!

Robbie
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

I think perhaps the key word is HAZARDOUS materials. Not every substance we use is classed as hazardous.

As for keeping them in case of fire - do you really think the firefighters are going to look at 3 binders full of MSDS's reading every fire precaution before they start putting out the fire? A chemical register is probably all they would be interested in (if at all) and then they get the info from experts over their radios.

The labels on each container should have the important safety info on them - most of ours do. Eg, "In case of contact with skin flush with water" or "if swallowed seek advice from Poisons Information Centre (with the number which I can't think of off the top of my head...)" so for minor incidents around the lab I would imagine this is enough information. If you really desperately feel the need to look something up, the CSIS has most chemicals in it with all the information you could need without all the excess rubbish contained in an MSDS. Much easier to find what you're looking for.

May I point out that all of the above is personal opinion and not based on anything I've seen/read or legislation or anything else.
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Please check back a page and read the CSIS, see what you think.
Regards Labbie

RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Has anyone actually read the MSDS for water? I think I have mentioned this on Chemtalk before.

"CHRONIC HEALTH EFFECTS
Long-term exposure to the product is not thought to produce chronic effects adverse to the health (as classified by EC Directives using animal models); nevertheless exposure by all routes should be minimised as a matter of course."

exposure by all routes should be minimised as a matter of course

Someone needs to tell this to those people who tell us to drink several litres a day...