Help Sassi

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
lada
State/Location: NSW

Re: Emzyme Test

Post by lada »

Thank you so very much. Much easier then bloody liver mess. i mean "bloody" as in lots of blood, would not dream of swearing
have a great "warm" weekend :cheesy:
Lada :coffee:
Sassi

Post by Sassi »

I guess I should also add that I got the capsicum extraxct simply by putting them through a blender, and then strained the mess through a sieve. It didn't take very long, but I think it needs to be done on the day of the test otherwise the catalaze may deteriorate. Only downside was that my prep room smelt like capsicum for about a week :) Although much better than liver I guess...

Sassi
kimm
State/Location: QLD

Post by kimm »

Hi Sassi - I think i must have a gumby computer as I can open the "graph" file but not the actual practical - it tells me that the file is damaged. Would it be at all possible that you could fax it to me . 0749399610 . I am grovelling ....... pleassseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. (I have got my most pathetic face on as well.)
Kim.
Sassi

Post by Sassi »

Hi Kim,

Sure can, it wont be until tomorrow though as I am about to leave and I just got bombarded with 10 last minute requests :(

Sassi
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga

Post by Loopy »

Thanks Sassi,
I just love it when I can hit my with teachers "Oh, you want to do an enzyme prac. Here look at this... I've been told it's very successful" and they think I know sooo much. Little do they know.... Thanks again for making me look good! :w00t:
Lou.
Sassi

Post by Sassi »

Hi Kim,

Just sent the fax away! Please let me know if you recieved it ok!

Sassi :)
kimm

Post by kimm »

Goodmorning Sassi .... Received your fax -really appreciate it - thankyou.

Kim.
souj
State/Location: WA

Post by souj »

Hi Sassi,
Thank you for posting this prac =D> . My teachers are keen to have a go. Could you tell me approximately how many capsicum you blend up- also is it just enough water to cover, or more :unsure: :unsure: ? Capsicum extract is a new one for my repertoire but I am willing to try!!
Thanks heaps!
Jodie
Sassi

Post by Sassi »

If I remember corerctly I blended up about 10 each colour. You get nearly L with that many. blend it and then sieve it. If you have a look at page 6 there are a table that tells you how many mL of H2O and H2O2 to put in, it is in amongst my scribbles but it is the actual computer typed tables, if you know what I mean. If you cant figure it out, let me know and I will type up that table for you. Good luck and I hope it works for you!

souj
State/Location: WA

Post by souj »

Thanks Sassi! Going capsicum shopping today!! \:D/ \:D/
ellice
Job Title: Lab technician
School: The Illawarra Grammar School
Suburb: Figtree

Post by ellice »

Hi Sassi,
Having trouble getting the prac through, and wondered if you could fax it on 42200201.
Many thanks, Ellice.
Sassi

Post by Sassi »

Hi Ellice,

just sent the fax through, let me know if you got it ok!

kimm

Sassi HELP

Post by kimm »

Hey Sassi - HELP! We are sitting here - biol teacher and me - we can not get the capsicum to froth up - is there something obvious we are doing wrong. One class did it yesterday and got the same results for the yellow as green. What concentration of hydrogen peroxide did you use.?
kimm

Help Sassi

Post by kimm »

Thought i would grab your attention Sass - need help with capsicum prac. dowesn't appear to be working. Which concentration should froth the most on the green. froth so far is very minimal .???????/
Sassi

Re: Help Sassi

Post by Sassi »

Hi Kimm,

so sorry been so busy with this stupid titration, blaaaa! I used 10% hydrogen peroxide, it needs to be freshly made up, I think once it didn't work because it was old... If you look at the results I gave you, you should be able to tell how much it froths up, should be no real action in the yellow one, but more in the green one. Also depends on the size of the test tubes, we used quite large 'fat' test tubes otherwise it frothed up too much (with normal sized test tubes). So I guess the only thing I can suggest is checking you H2O2... I shall ask the teachers too what they reckon.

Sass :)
kimm

Post by kimm »

I made the Hydrogen peroxide up fresh - I tried a 3 % , 6 %, 15% and full strength. The stronger it got - the smaller reaction we obtained- at full strength it caused the capsicum juice to clear. The green capsicum gave maybe a ml of froth and the yellow capsicum gave 2 or 3 ml. I checked out your table and graphs - showed the teachers - we have got to be doing something wrong - maybe our capsicums are just queenslandified!! Too much sun and a little crazy!! I really am scratching my head on this one. #-o I am off to buy some more fresh capsicum today to blend . If you can think of anything - please shout out. Thanks for your help Sass and good luck with your titrations.
cactus155
Job Title: Laboratory Guru
School: Claremont College
Suburb: Claremont
State/Location: TAS

Post by cactus155 »

If the stock solution of Hydrogen Peroxide is old, it may have turned into water, but this doesn't explain why the reaction was less when the concentration was higher though
kimm

Post by kimm »

I am tellin ya!! Going aroung the bend with it. Stock is only newly purchased - have just completed the liver enzyme experiment and the same H2O2 worked fine.
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga

Post by Loopy »

Hey Kimm,
I have just been trying it over the past couple of days and was finding the minimal one was frothing the most! But trial and error, fresh mixed peroxide, freshly blended capsicums, clean test tubes and hold your tongue to the left and it finally worked as it should. Much better in terms of students being able to test equal amounts and much easier to clean up by far!
Keep trying!
Lou P.
lada

Post by lada »

Kim,
I bet you forgot to hold tongue to the left. Makes all the difference :cheesy: :cheesy:
Aren't most experiments trial and error? And aren't students suprised, when something works?
lada