And just like that, it is all over...

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
Sassi
State/Location: NSW

And just like that, it is all over...

Post by Sassi »

...and back to work again :cry2:

First day back from a wonderful relaxing holiday, I bet you by tomorrow it will feel like I havent even had a day off. Am I the only one back??? Truly I cant be, there must be someone else out there that can share my pain, while the rest of labbieland is still enjoying the beach.........

Sassi :D
souj
State/Location: WA

Re: And just like that, it is all over...

Post by souj »

Sharing your pain Sassi- you are not alone! I kind of missed this place a bit though- a bit sad isn't it?!
Enjoy your day! :D :D
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

This is my 3rd day back so I'm hearing you!! I've been very productive so far - it's amazing what can be done with no students around! I have never had so much unused bench top space. It is such a good feeling to know I will be starting this year with some element of organisation. Usually I spend this week unpacking boxes of supplies and trying to put things away but I only just sent off my orders yesterday (time got away from me at the end of last year!) so this year I actually have time to get everything put away/thrown away from last year before the boxes move in. Having said that, I should get back and do some more organising! I hope everyone has a great year :)
cactus155
Job Title: Laboratory Guru
School: Claremont College
Suburb: Claremont
State/Location: TAS

Post by cactus155 »

Today is my first day back, however I am pretty tired as I was up at 3am AEST to watch Obama get sworn in
KarenN
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Kyabram P-12 College
Suburb: Kyabram
State/Location: VIC

Post by KarenN »

Yep hi, my first day back also, did not want to come back, but it's nice & quiet to get things done but very hot in Kyabram, Victoria !
vic
Job Title: Lab tech
School: Peter Moyes ACS
Suburb: Mindarie

Post by vic »

yep came back on monday.....hmmmmm...... and have been on the go ever since.......were did the holidays go???? :-( :-(
Sassi

Post by Sassi »

Hi all,
so I survived my first day back, barely, but I survived... It was very hot and I dont understand I kept getting a very sore throat... hmmm looks to me like I am trying to find excuses to be sick tomorrow :) Silly me! Feel much better now that I know that there other people out there suffering with me. I have done absolutely nothing today, and it will be the same until tuesday next week when the kids come back, there is nothing to do, I did it all end of last term, this is when I hate being efficient, grrr! Wish my boss would allow me to stay home, you should get credit for being efficient, not having to suffer...
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

My first day back :w00t:
I was dreaming last night what I would meet, Break-ins, Bogan moth plague etc
Showed up this morning, first job sweeping up where we had pot plants had been thrown through science glass doors, glass has been replaced but all the dirt and glass chips left, and I came back to work for a rest! get away from that boss at home.
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

Hi all, and welcome back to 2009!
I feel like a newcomer here. I had to take 7 weeks off through the second half of last term due to illness in the family, and then 5 weeks annual leave/stand down time over Christmas, means that it is 3 months since I have done a hands turn!!. Still, it is good to be back! I am looking forward to participating in chemtalk more than I was able last year.
I think it will take a bit for me to wind up to speed, but I am expecting a good year!
all the best
Ian
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

Hi everyone, I don't start till next week but I've popped into work occasionally to see what has taken place. Today I found twelve large boxes to be unpacked from a bulk order. The admin staff had put them all between two compactus in the prep room. It's like a mini mountain and it has to go before I can get into either compactus. Up to my ears in post christmas goodies. On a previous visit the solid timber door to one of my prep rooms collapsed (parted company with the section attached to the hinges and dropped ten inches from the top of the door frame) when the janitor unlocked it. Builders in another part of the school had to jack it back into position, leave a prop underneath it and relock the door until the maintenance guy could get to it the following day. It dropped that distance because I had a very high step up into the prep room and the door opened out from the concrete slab floor. I now also have a very large additional step to make it easier to get in and out of the prep room. It's taken twenty five years or so to get it. With any luck I will not find myself spreadeagled on the prep room floor while trying to get in the door (didn't step high enough). I also have locks on both sets of sliding doors which access the physics lab and the chem lab from my prep room. Things might be looking up.
Lyn.
Robb

Post by Robb »

Hi All,

First day back for us here in NSW is Tuesday 27th Jan.

I have been away from home now for two weeks and I am looking at updating the Astronomy Thread. Be Warned! There have been some interesting things happening so watch carefully...

Cheers,

Robb.....
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

welcome back welcome back to you all. Yes like we have never been away. Do hope you all had a lovely holiday. Wonder how Richard is going?????? Hope every one had a SAFE holiday. :coffee:
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
kmk

Post by kmk »

Hi all, welcome back.
My first day back to-day.
I would like to print out all new Material Safety Data Sheets and get them up to date.
Can you tell me if they need to be printed in colour please.
Talk to you soon. Kath
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

NO they do not need to be printed in colour. Do not forget the issue date is the date to check. If the issue date on chemwatch is more current then the one on paper, then it needs to be re-printed. Good luck its a awful job. It takes me about 3 weeks to complete.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Mother
Job Title: Science lab. technician
School: Dubbo College/Senior Campus
Suburb: Dubbo

Post by Mother »

Hi all for 2009.
Yep,I think all NSW public schools are back today!!!!! How pathetic can one be,!!!! as I too was looking forward to today.Richard would probably be rather busy today as all teachers will be wanting photocopies for tomorrow's lessons.Nice to hear from you Rob!!!!and welcome back to everyone.Wonder if they will ever bring all public states schools back at the same time?????
Take care
Mother
Didee

Post by Didee »

My 1st day back :-({|= , but no teachers until Thursday =D> and even better, no students until next Monday \:D/ . Have to be lucky sometimes.
Xenon
Job Title: Rocket Scientist
School: Arndell Anglican College
Suburb: Oakville

Post by Xenon »

Back (with a vengence) today, with yrs 7, 11 & 12. The rest back tomorrow.
:coffee:
Isn't it great to get the holidays out of the way and get back to work?
\:D/
Come on, think positively!
:D
Xe, SD, KOPR
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Yep, I'm thinking positively that this is going to be a great year.

Welcome 'home' everyone!
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by fibreweb »

Thinking of you all back at work!
I have an enforced extra 4 weeks before I can get back to work 8O
For some reason they think it would be an OH & S risk to have a wheelchair bound Sciene assistant :w00t:
Dont know why, There is only 2 flights of stairs and 300 metres between my prep room and 4 of the labs!! :cheesy:

I misplaced a foot coming down stairs whilst on holidays at South West Rocks and broke my Fibula!!! and am in a non-weight bearing cast for 6 weeks at least. We thought about moving me to the administration office for the duration but I have no experience there at all and at the beginning of the year would be more hinderence than help. Not to mention that would put a front office person into science and finding someone willing to go would be impossible. I have just enough sick leave so thought that would be the best option.

I will certainly be logging in every day to catch up with the chemtalk messages. Actually I will now have time to reply as I won't have people looking over my shoulder thinking " she should be doing work not playing on the computer!"

Wendy
lainyv
Job Title: lab technician
School: Illawarra Christian School
Suburb: Albion Park

Post by lainyv »

started back yesterday giving a Chemical Safety talk to the new staff...at least the kids arn't back until next week so I'm not too stressed out..need to ask a question. does anyonelses spiny leaf insect eggs go mouldy or have I been over zealous with the water? please tell me they will be OK as our adult ones died (not in my hands) over the school hols.