New updated training manual

General announcements, eg upcoming science meetings, national lab tech seminars, Chemtalk announcements, etc.
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Re: New updated training manual

Post by Slartibartfast »

True, but look at the cost of any school text these days, especially senior ones.
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant
State/Location: NSW

Post by Ocker »

Yes but then all the links to DET sites will be blocked to us non-det users
trish armstrong
Job Title: lab Assistant SAO
School: Taree High School
Suburb: Taree

Post by trish armstrong »

hi all,
liz I watched the dvd and thought it was a little outdated, in the sense of the assistant did demonstrations without eye protection.( she did have her reading glases on though)(i'm just picky).
There is 19 sections; Agar Phenolpthalein cubes,Agar plates, Bunsen burner & working with Glass, Bunsen Burner maintenance, Chemical Storeroom, Copper sulfate Sol, Dissection Equipment,making Electrical wires, fume cupboards operations, General storeroom, handling broken glass, phenolpthalein indicator, making 1M NaOH, Preparing teachers orders, Radioactive sources, testing Electrical meters,and your own Workstation.
The older manual seemed to have a little more information, but the new one has a difference of geology. Other than that apart from the youbute pictures (taken of the old equipment) its not much different.
I was happy with the pc disk as it has spreadsheet, stocktake examples that you can use of the chemical room, storeroom, dropper bottles, textbooks. For me it will help next year.
cheers trish.
coxy

Post by coxy »

We also just purchased our copy - $90 for us, but if the private schools want one, the online form says it will cost $225! Now that doesn't quite sound fair. However, I arranged to have the one I purchased through DET paid for by the school's SASS Professional Training funds. It IS there to help train someone. (I am too old to be trained in ANYTHING new).
sue
The Search Engine

Post by The Search Engine »

Hi All,
have only just downloaded the flyer - it looks great. Liz - how come you got yours early? Am I just slow?
I think I will be waiting until the RSRG buy mine for me. Looks like it will be worth the wait though.
(I am one of those SAOs thrown into Science without a clue).

Cheers,
Patti
The Search Engine
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Hi Patti,

Raelene (SAM) jumped in and ordered the Science and GA manuals as soon as she saw them advertised, so I was very grateful.
She's asked if the RSRG can reimburse the school if & when they supply them to all schools in the region, although I haven't heard anything back on that.
Maybe you could suggest your SAM speak to Kerry H about doing something similar?
In your situation that makes sense, and especially if you don't have a copy of the older version.

I haven't had a chance to look at the DVD yet, and the manual's still sitting on my bench for the odd moment I can read a few pages, but am still at the beginning!
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

Hi All
for all going to conference in November at St Mary's will will have 1 or 2 as a door prize
so good luck to all that are coming.
Noona
P.S. it si a good read and great for new labbies
The Search Engine

Post by The Search Engine »

Guess What!!

I just got an early Christmas present! My SAM just handed me a copy of "Working in Science".
What classic timng, after only just discussing it this morning.
Wonder about the reimbursement when the RSRG buys them for schools. Our SAM is happy to get another one and the Science staff were quite impressed.

Cheers,
Patti
The Search Engine