New updated training manual

General announcements, eg upcoming science meetings, national lab tech seminars, Chemtalk announcements, etc.
trish armstrong
Job Title: lab Assistant SAO
School: Taree High School
Suburb: Taree
State/Location: NSW

New updated training manual

Post by trish armstrong »

hi friends,
Just a little note to let you know that the det have placed a revised "working in Science" training manual for sale in the 'SASS Training Opportunities' on the Intranet.
Take a look, some people may want to purchase, esp new labbys. :D

trish.
Linda26
Job Title: Library/Science Assistant
School: Heritage Christian School
Suburb: Port Macquarie

Re: New updated training manual

Post by Linda26 »

Hi Trish

What is the website to access this updated version.

Ta
Linda
trish armstrong

Dear Linda,
I attached the flyer, call me if any problems
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dee
Job Title: "Second in Charge"
School: Gosford Selective High School

Post by Dee »

Thanks for this - just spoken to my Senior and we are ordering a copy - not so much for me , but for my replacement if and when I get the transfer I am hanging out for.. lol....

It does look good though
Dee
Rita

Post by Rita »

Are there any websites accessible by catholic staff? I can't access any det sites.

Rita
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Post by Slartibartfast »

This is the non DET flyer (same apart from price) and the order form for non DET schools.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
nickyw

Post by nickyw »

That looks great I wish we had something like that in Queensland. We have "Aspects of Science manual',which look like it was written in the 1970s????

Something like this NSW manual would be ideal for all new labbys who are generally thrown into the job without a clue.

I can only wish.... :boring:
Louise

Post by Louise »

Hi everyone,
Could the Hunter and Central Coast Schools NSW hang off a little while ordering the manual because I'm looking into and hoping The Regional School SASS Reference Group may pay for or subsidise this manual and I will supply it when I run some Science skills courses next year.
I will let you know what the group decides after the next meeting and email everyone.
Thanks
Louise
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

My office has already ordered ours!

Also, Nickyw - your from a non DET school and there is no reason why someone from interstate cannot order and use the manual - for instance, lots of us use the WA regional lab tech site from elsewhere. Download the nondet attachments I've posted above. There is nothing to indicate it is NSW specific.

There are few differences between states in what we do - mainly work safety legislation but for general prep room info - I say go for it if no modern equivalent is available in your state.
Richard Hollinworth
DPI&F
Louise

Post by Louise »

HI,
Sorry all the Labbies in NSW Hunter and Centrl Coast area. My directions are that every school will have to purchase their own copy and bring it along with you when we run our courses.

Sorry, there isnt enough funds to cover.
Louise :mad:
pkij
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Good Shepherd Catholic College
Suburb: Mount Isa

Post by pkij »

Nickyw

I too have the "Aspects of Science Management" I have often wondered if there is any updated version of this??, it was here in the prep room when I started 7 years ago so yes it is not really up to date :-| .
Will go and see if I can convince the powers that be to purchase this DET manual, it certainly looks worthwhile.
Sometimes I think we do lag behind in Queensland................. I envy your access to courses and professional development that occurs in other states :-(
Ah well looking on the bright side at least we were able to catch cane toads for dissection from the back yard!, but I can tell you that they don't smell too good when not cleaned up and left in lab over the weekend in 35+ degree heat. That was a nice welcome for me on Monday morning this week. :yuck:
dolphinscales
Job Title: Laboratory Technican
School: Mandurah Senior College
State/Location: WA

Post by dolphinscales »

there is an on line version of the "Aspects of Science manual' which is more up to date than 1970s -lol
nickyw wrote:That looks great I wish we had something like that in Queensland. We have "Aspects of Science manual',which look like it was written in the 1970s????

Something like this NSW manual would be ideal for all new labbys who are generally thrown into the job without a clue.

I can only wish.... :boring:
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

Hi pkij,
In this area we non-DET schools had no access to any In-services .. so Ocker and I got together, and with support from our HODs, we got one going.. We include all the Catholic High Schools in this Diocese and many of the Independent Christian and some Grammar schools .. We are now 'official', and hold in-services twice a year. We all contribute, as most of us were highly skilled people in our 'other lives' {pre-School Labtech}, and we also have guest presenters, teachers and Science supply people to broaden our knowledge base.
So - why not talk to other labbies in your area and start your own up..
Pam
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

Oh such praise, I blush!
G'Day Pam
trish armstrong

hi,
Just recieved my copy,guess what i am doing in my spare time! :coffee:
I am happy with the quality of the pictures, just hope as i read it i'll be happy with the context.
I am just wondering if I should attempt to book the dvd player out and waste time at work or torture my children at home and make them watch it with me. Won't they love that! :cheesy:

Trish.
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

I've just received my copy!
Like Trish, first impressions are good - the coloured pictures are very clear, much better than the grainy black & white photocopied versions in the old manual.

Trish - how did you find the DVD?

I replied to Annette's post earlier thanking her for the training opportunity, then went to the F/O where my SAM gave me this - how funny's that!
(Today I'm wearing a PSA stcker that says 'Train us for the future", and our local PSA Rep's coming to chat after work. Spooky.... :whistling2: !!)

BTW - New England labbies - our Regional SASS Reference Group is planning to provide these manual for all schools in this area, so tell your SAMs to wait to hear about that before buying one for your faculty.
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
chrisanne
Job Title: sass science
Suburb: kempsey

Post by chrisanne »

Hi
I have just received the flyer
I think that it is wrong for DET to charge schools for a copy of the training manual that has always been free to schools. What do others think?
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

The DET are probably broke like all state Govt Dept's. They'll be having a cake drive next!

I agree though, it's to improve our quality of work for them (if that's possible) so why charge us?
Richard Hollinworth
DPI&F
chrisanne
Job Title: sass science
Suburb: kempsey

Post by chrisanne »

Hi
I have just received a copy of the flyer and even tho it looks good - I think that it is really SLACK of the DET to charge the schools for a manual that in the past has been provided for free. Do they want us to be trained properly or what???? chris
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

I was quite surprised by the price difference between DET/Non DET schools - $90 compared to $225 so it looks like the private schools are subsidising the DET ones. I can't imagine it costs that much to produce an update of a manual. It's not like they were starting from scratch. I seriously doubt I'll be getting one.

Please note I am NOT trying to start an "us and them" debate here!