iron oxide

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

iron oxide

Post by mtg »

What's the prac using iron oxide and a ceramic plant pot? My senior Chem teacher wants to do a special demo for the end of year Year 11 students. Is it exothermic?
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Re: iron oxide

Post by bigmack »

Sounds like a thermite reaction with Aluminium powder and Iron oxide powder . Start it off with a bit of magnesium ribbon .
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor
State/Location: NSW

Post by Merilyn1 »

The plant pot got me confused! I had a teacher who used to use the small tuna cans - emptied out, of course. They were just the right size and were disposable. It was also good seeing what the thermite did to the can. Sit the can on a tripod which was placed in a metal tray filled with sand.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

That sounds like a great way to demo it Merilyn .Can imagine the melting hot thermite dripping out the bottom of the tuna can :crazy:

The ceramic planter pot method .... you fill it with sand .... dry sand :thumbup:
Sand helps contain the heat from the reaction .... safety thing , like the ceramic pot . You could just put it in an evaporating basin but it will likely heat up and crack .

Sand must be dry . Aluminium powder doesn’t like being wet . And wet sand doesn’t like suddenly becoming very hot .

The Thermite mix is mounded up in the middle of the dry sand with a magnesium ribbon wick is lit .

So you’ll get bright light and flames . A few shooters out a meter radious . Best to do it on a concrete area or other non flammable space . Several meters from the spectators . I’d recommend 5 meters minimum ..... with safety googles .

Thats with about 20-50 gms of thermite.