Limewater

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor
State/Location: NSW

Re: Limewater

Post by Merilyn1 »

Slightly different here but I do the same as Sunray and Wayne mentioned (from years ago). So I have a stock solution which is what I have made using the instructions in The Laboratory (also previously mentioned) and I have one or two working solution bottles. I carefully pour the liquid from the stock bottle into the working bottle - I stop once I see the bottom layer of calcium hydroxide start to get stirred up. I send the working solution into the class, the stock solution stays in the chem store.
If I decant any, I refill the stock bottle with water, give it a shake and let it settle again before using.
remlap12

Post by remlap12 »

Merilyn1 wrote: 11 Sep 2019, 11:46 Slightly different here but I do the same as Sunray and Wayne mentioned (from years ago). So I have a stock solution which is what I have made using the instructions in The Laboratory (also previously mentioned) and I have one or two working solution bottles. I carefully pour the liquid from the stock bottle into the working bottle - I stop once I see the bottom layer of calcium hydroxide start to get stirred up. I send the working solution into the class, the stock solution stays in the chem store.
If I decant any, I refill the stock bottle with water, give it a shake and let it settle again before using.
I do the same, Merilyn. :thumbup:
Regards
remlap12
science support and problem solver :mail:
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

I'm trying to set up my lime water still... Does anyone know what size rubber bung with 2 holes fits in the top of a winchester? I have ones that are too big or two small. I did find a cork one that fits (no holes) but none of the measurements match any of the 2 hole rubber bung options I've found online. How hard is it to put your own holes in with a cork borer? I think the cork would disintegrate because the holes would be too close together at the bottom. The diameter of the top of the winchester is about 28mm.
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

RosalieL wrote: 05 Mar 2024, 09:30 I'm trying to set up my lime water still... Does anyone know what size rubber bung with 2 holes fits in the top of a winchester? I have ones that are too big or two small. I did find a cork one that fits (no holes) but none of the measurements match any of the 2 hole rubber bung options I've found online. How hard is it to put your own holes in with a cork borer? I think the cork would disintegrate because the holes would be too close together at the bottom. The diameter of the top of the winchester is about 28mm.
Never mind - I found the right size sold individually at wiltronics, of all places!