Catalase

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
bindibadgi
Suburb: Kensington Park
State/Location: SA

Catalase

Post by bindibadgi »

Hi all,

we're about to start the catalase enzyme prac, & last week a labbie from another school & I found that capsicum isn't giving the lovely perky foam it has in previous years for some reason. Could be because of the looong hot summer we've had in SA, but capsicum we bought from several shops all failed to react much at all at full strength with fresh 6% peroxide, so I bought a bunch of silverbeet figuring that might work, & happily it works a treat :thumbup: Super cheap as well, only $1.49 for a bunch!

The method that worked was to puree equal grams silverbeet to ml water, eg 100g silverbeet torn up & put in 100ml water, then strained through a chux cloth.
5ml of 6% H2O2 in a 50ml measuring cylinder + 3ml silverbeet extract produced 47ml of foam in 30 seconds. Lovely pretty green foam :clap3:

Sadly it doesn't smell as nice as the capsicum version, but I'm just happy it's not liver :yuck:
bindibadgi
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth
State/Location: NSW

Re: Catalase

Post by fibreweb »

I was noticing that yesterday myself.
I had suggested the teacher use capsicum instead of liver but got very poor results. Not at all like last years experiments.
Pureed silverbeet has worked very well though, besides we have it growing in the Ag plot anyway so don't need to buty it.