making rocks

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
smeee
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: LaSalle Catholic College
Suburb: Bankstown
State/Location: NSW

making rocks

Post by smeee »

H-E-L-P !
came back to chaos today....teachers helped themselves to equipment, missing stopwatches ( don't these teachers count in and out ?? ) after the 2 day conference so not quite thinking straight. :banghead2:
I am after "recipes" for rock making...end of year activities....and I can't find my sheets.
Can anyone help please ? :-(
Thanks in anticipation
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Re: making rocks

Post by RosalieM »

Here are some that I have which I'm pretty sure I got from Chemtalk in the first place. Can't claim the credit!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shas

Post by Shas »

Hi Smee,
try a search on forum "Lolly sedimentary rock". It might be helpful.

Happy eating!!
ellice
Job Title: Lab technician
School: The Illawarra Grammar School
Suburb: Figtree

Post by ellice »

Hi Smee,
If you want an alternative to edible rocks, we've done the plaster of Paris one with
1 pebbles, gravel, sand
2 gravel
3 gravel, soil
4 gravel, sand.
do in a polystyrene cup, and when set, peel away to reveal your rocks.
Ellice 8)
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

We have just done the igneous rock making from the following website:
http://www.scarborough.k12.me.us/wis/te ... iments.htm
We used our hotplates and saucepans plus saucepans from home. Each group was given a plastic cup of rice bubbles (rice pops) and a portion of marshmallows and about a tablespoon of butter. Portions were modified and we used non stick baking and cooking paper. We used Homebrand dark choc chips (small) and milk choc melts (large) and 100's & 1000's. For some reason the kids didn't want the sultanas. Don't know why. I guess they just weren't chocolate flavoured. They just loved the edible rocks.
Lyn.
smeee
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: LaSalle Catholic College
Suburb: Bankstown

Post by smeee »

Thank you all for your help....the recipes are just what I was looking for :clap3:
fiona
State/Location: VIC

Post by fiona »

Mmmm. These rocks sound delicious.

When I did soil science at uni (closest I ever want to get to geology) they recommended we lick the soil to field test for salinity and texture (no joke) :yuck: . It never tasted this good though! :lol:
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

We do Honeycomb, as attached. We use disposable foil trays, and all disposable or "people use only" implements.

I also do Rocky Road in foil trays, with baby marshmallows, rice bubbles, and if I'm feeling kind, a jelly dinosaur in each as a fossil.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers, K 8-)