Wine making

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
agregory
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Townsville
State/Location: QLD

Wine making

Post by agregory »

Year 11 Chemistry classes here have been making wine for the last three years, but we still have not perfected the process and get mixed results. Can anyone send their procedures and ingredients for making wine so we can go through them to prepare for next year? We can't use stone fruits due to availability in North Queensland in Term 3 - apples, bananas, citrus, frozen berries etc would be best.

Thanks!
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes
State/Location: NSW

Re: Wine making

Post by noona »

I can't help with ingredients but I could do with some right now :drunk:
would love the recipe :drunk: or maybe after the Science Conference :party:
Noona
Lab Manager
Greystanes High School
Beresford Rd
Greystanes 2145
8868 9113
ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
smiley

Post by smiley »

Annette,

We have done this with pineapple, and compared tinned with fresh, etc etc. I'll see what I can rustle up in the way of documents for you. One kid tried bananas and that was hard work, but watermelons etc worked well. However, I'll consult with the teachers, but I'm pretty sure our focus question specified local fruits.

I went and spent time at the local brewshop (Marlin Coast Home Brew) and got lots of useful advice, discounted equipment etc etc.
Cheers, K 8-)
agregory

Post by agregory »

Thanks Smiley!

The task sheet and ingredients list looks great!

We use lots of stuff - apple juice, apples, bananas, orange juice, dextrose/brown sugar/sucrose, tea bags, sultanas, citric acide, tartaric acid, wine yeast, yeast nutrient, pectinol, gelatine, and the list goes on!
lada

Post by lada »

We have never done this, but I could do with the final product right about now.
The first period have not even started and I had 2 teachers approach me about practicals they have forgot to order, i have 4 classes doing eye dissection P1, so NO, i have no time to start preparing forgoten practicals.
Red wine anyone??? :drunk:
Lada
fiona
State/Location: VIC

Post by fiona »

I feel your pain Lada. I spent the better part of 2 days making sets of parachutes for the year 8 science class, changing one variable at a time, working out a set area that worked across 4 different shapes (using my year 9 maths skills) and cutting them out. There was meant to be 1 set of each. One for each year 8 class. Now he walks in and says. "Parachutes went great, yesterday (my day off). Is it possible to have another 2 sets made up because I used both for one class"

AGHHHHHHHHHHHHH! :banghead: :banghead2: :club:

How about a nice white? *Hic* :drunk:
smiley

Post by smiley »

Is it possible to have another 2 sets made up because I used both for one class
Try NO, as in it's not possible.
Cheers, K 8-)
fiona

Post by fiona »

Thanks smiley. I did that. I did remind him that I am doing so much extra for him at the moment. As in he decided that the year 9 course next year is boring so could I please think of some better topics to cover and write up pracs for them. Then he asked if he could have worksheets to go with each prac and I'm thinking "I'm pretty sure that's YOUR job".
J
School: DHS

Post by J »

Hi Fiona
You were only THINKING that? 8O 8O
I'd be SAYING that, and more, very loudly!!
J
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

Fiona,
I hope he was only kidding you. If not it is time to say NO! I must admit I found your post somewhat jawdropping. Time and again I see you guys out there being asked to do the teachers job of sourcing pracs etc. Yeah I know I've done it myself on occasion but I've tried to keep it to a minimum. But if you are also being required to write the pracs up and produce the worksheets that is absolutely outrageous. This teacher of yours sound exceptionally slack in doing what is essentially the job he has been hired to do. Sorry but I think it about time you threw his job back into his lap otherwise you are making a rod for your own back.
Lyn.

P.S. Getting back to the winemaking. Some years back I took the most palatable of the orange wine that the students made and added extra sugar. Unfortunately can't remember the quantities but the end product was a dessert wine to knock your socks off. :crazy:
fiona

Post by fiona »

Thanks Lyn. I was pretty sure it wasn't my job but now I know that I can say NO! After reading your post I did turn around and tell him that if he wanted questions on that prac its up to him to write them, so thanks for that.

He's not a bad guy or a lazy teacher, I think its just his way of using another resource to his advantage. He knows that I have a science degrees that i only finished last year so I have much more updated knowledge than he does - and I know about relevant sciencey-stuff (like the desalination plant). But you're right. If I do it for him he will come to expect it and then I might as well go do a dip-ed and teach his class for him and I won't have time to do my own duties.
vlclabbie
Job Title: Lab Chick
Suburb: Albury

Post by vlclabbie »

Oh Fiona! I agree with the others.... you aren't the teacher & our job is only to put pracs out for them not source & do all the planning for them! :redcard:

Obviously you are very knowledgeable & have a very generous nature! :clap3: Just use it wisely! :thumbup:

Mind you, on occasion... I've done the same.... I find it depends which teacher comes asking as to how helpful I get..!

Smiley, I would love that info on the wine making too if you're happy to keep sharing it about! We don't do it but I would love to start! Hmmmm what was I just saying about not sourcing & organising pracs for them...??? :giggle:
vlclabbie
Job Title: Lab Chick
Suburb: Albury

Post by vlclabbie »

Thanks Smiley! Much appreciated & the teacher is totally impressed with you & your generosity! And I'm totally impressed with your advice as well! :thumbup:

Can't wait to see the kids efforts! :unsure:
agregory

Post by agregory »

:banghead2: