Osmosis and diffusion

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty
State/Location: NSW

Re: Osmosis and diffusion

Post by Ian »

Rita wrote:Hi All

We did the iodine and starch solution for this prac without measuring side of things. The teacher also asked for sucrose and glucose both 1M. Has anyone used these as well for diffusion prac? Seems a strong concentration....1M sucrose is 34.23%.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Rita
I think sometimes, teachers say "1 molar" when what they mean is just "sort of standard concentration, but not too strong" I once had a teacher ask me for a 1M concentration of Calcium Carbonate!!!! (I stirred that for a long time before twigging that CaCO3 is insoluble! And she wasn't even pranking me!!) :giggle: :crazy:
Ian

Post by Ian »

melsid wrote:My lot order a saturated sucrose solution, but I've been giving them around 5 - 10% or so and it works just fine.
Saturated Sucrose solution? Is that "Stick jaw" toffee or "Brittle" toffee? Sounds yummy either way! \:D/
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong

Post by Kathryn »

Good morning. My teacher has always asked for litres of iodine solution to pour straight into the beakers containing the starch dialysis tubing. Of course when I make up the iodine as per the recipe it is far too dark so then have to dilute. Should she actually just be adding a few drops of iodine from our usual 0.1M iodine dropper bottles to water filled beakers?
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

Droppers won't do it .....its just not strong enough .

I give them a small stock solution of Iodine that is 10x strength ( I dilute it down for droppers )

They just carefully add it to the water in the beaker , gas jar what ever , until it is a pale brown colour . ....works everytime
KassH
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: SPC KMPSY

Post by KassH »

Hi, I need some help. I've not prepared this prac before and I have no iodine solution made up. Do you use potassium iodine or straight iodine? And how concentrate?
I started making up a potassium iodine solution but it's clear??
labbassistant
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollongong High School

Post by labbassistant »

We use Aqueous iodine solution, I've attached a photo for the recipe.
And also a 1% or 1.5 % starch solution
Hope this helps
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
labbassistant

Post by labbassistant »

Sorry, I should've asked before. Is this with the dialysis tubing diffusion prac?
That's what we use for that diffusion prac
Ian

Post by Ian »

Teachers will often ask for Potassium Iodide solution (KI) when what they really mean is Iodine Solution (I/KI) or sometimes called Lugol's Iodine Solution. Yes, KI is a perfectly clear liquid and will NOT do what they want (ie, turn starch black/purple) but it is necessary to make the iodine dissolve in water. The recipe that Labassistant has given you (from the book, "The Laboratory") is a good one. There are a couple of similar but equally good recipes in that book.
They do suggest that the I/KI solution be made up 24 hours in advance.
Actually, an interesting experiment you can do, if you are not totally run off your feet, like most of us are, most of the time) is to add a few grains of iodine to a beaker of water. No matter how you stir it, it will just sit there and not dissolve. Then add a couple of grains of KI to the beaker. Immediately the I will start dissolving into the water in brown swirls! (maybe I am a nerd, but I found it interesting!)
KassH
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: SPC KMPSY

Post by KassH »

Thank you labbassistant and Ian. It is for the dialysis tubing prac.
I used the potassium iodine solution I had made up (with 16.6g KI) and added the 3g of iodine. It's now brown so guessing it's good to go. The extra 1.6g of KI shouldn't matter, right? Don't have 24hrs for it to sit but they will have to make do with that.
labbassistant

Post by labbassistant »

If everything is dissolved then there shouldn't be a problem.
Happy to help!