Banned experiments

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
dolphinscales
Job Title: Laboratory Technican
School: Mandurah Senior College
State/Location: WA

Re: Banned experiments

Post by dolphinscales »

In QLD and WA a manual that is endoresed by the deaprtments of education (in WA the health dept and minning dept. also have a hand in it) has stated in them banned substances and pracs. Do the other states not also have such a manual?
Lynda
State/Location: NSW

Post by Lynda »

Could you please fax the banned experiments through to me at Narooma High School on 02 44 763953, I won't be there until Wednesday 15th. Much appreciated. Cheers. Lynda
~megz~

Post by ~megz~ »

Hi Judy and others,

Please can I have a copy of the list too? If it's not too much trouble :oops: I know there's been a million requests! Attn: Meg Fax No. 63327338 Thanks in advance :-)

Was just talking about this very topic with staff in my department yesterday arvo. We were debating what the official word is on the 'cheek cells on a microscope slide prepared by students' prac is. Does anyone know whether this prac is offically banned for health reasons (and where I can find documentation of it) or is it just up to individual schools discretion and risk assessments?

Cheek cells stained with methylene blue under a scope are just so pretty :wub: :wink2:

Meg
Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. ~Wernher Von Braun
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Hi Meg,

Do you have a copy of the Chemical Safety in Schools folders??
Check out Section 3.2.4(b) page 29. It says "Experiments with fresh human blood or fresh humanb tissue eg. cheek cell smears should not be undertaken."
Hope this helps

Lorrae

Ps did you do the course at the AIS about OH&S late last year??
~megz~

Post by ~megz~ »

Thanks Sue and Lorrae,

I will direct my teach's to the 'official word'! I had my suspicions that it was a no-go :-(

I haven't done the OHS course yet, I'm enrolled for one on 2nd April, and am still wading my way through CSIS in depth, as until now I have only had a 'basic working knowledge' of the package.

Looking forward to feeling a lot more qualified soon! (Nine days in the job and counting, so far no major disasters!)

Cheers,
Meg
Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. ~Wernher Von Braun
fishy

Post by fishy »

Hi Judy

Was just looking through and saw your post. I would greatly appreciate you list of banned experiments too. My fax no. is 02 99811155. Many thanks in anticipation. Have a great day!
sammy
Job Title: Lab Tech
State/Location: WA

Post by sammy »

Hi Judy,

I would love a copy of the banned experiment list to if you get a spare moment :D my fax number is 08) 96511 911
thanks so much

sammy 8)
blossom

Post by blossom »

Hi
May I also have a copy of the banned experiments thanks my fax no is 9415 1342. I am at Chatswood High.
Blossom
kt redlands

Post by kt redlands »

Hi,
I would also appreciate a copy of the banned list when you can.
Fax (02)9909 3228 (please mark "Attn: Kirsty" if poss.)
Many thanks,
Kirsty
Shas

Post by Shas »

Hi Judy,
Could you pls add me to the list of those who want the banned experiments list. [-o< Fax is 02 49444827. Attn Sharon Butler.

Thanks heaps
shas
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

I have PM Judy(emailed her). The date on the banned experiments is a old one. But as Judy had not answered for a few days now. I feel you may not get your faxes.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
darlo

Post by darlo »

In regard to the 'volcano expt' and using ammonium dichromate, also banned chemicals I follow this:

In 2000, every government school was supposed to be given a package: Chemical Safety in Schools, The safe use and storage of chemicals in schools. It consisted of 2 BIG folders, volume 1 and volume 2. There was a CD for MSDS and labelling, but unfortuneately it had an expiry time on it so it is now useless. In volume 2, there is Appendix D, Generic assessment advice for chemicals used in secondary schools. I use this as my 'bible' for chemical use and labelling. It tells what can be used and by whom, gives a risk assessment on expts, how to 'dot' the chemicals, what is BANNED. On page 38, ammonium dichromate is listed. This tells you it is allowed by the teacher for the 'volcano expt', under controlled conditions.

My teachers have used this with the addition of: a Mg ribbon wick, KNO3 gives a flame, Fe filings give sparks and sugar gives smoke.

Every faculty with chemicals should have a copy of CSIS, TAS, ART & Science.
Hoping this helps
Judy R
State/Location: QLD

Post by Judy R »

I would like to clarify the list of "banned" experiments I have shared.This is meant as a guide and to alert new labbies to some of the dangers.The list was given to me years before we had the CSIS handbook and was very helpful.
In 20 years experience I am aware that there are teachers who have never done some of the more dangerous experiments and as such have no knowledge of the extra percautions that should be taken.Some of the experiments have dubious education value anyway.
The final say is with the HOD however from some of your posts I wonder about their abilities and experience and lets face it when something goes wrong it will be the lab assistant cleaning up the mess.In line with the risk assessment protocols a less dangerous experiment should be done.
On the subject of the ammonium dichromate volcano the product is a carcinogen and why anyone would want to do it using this method is beyond me.
My advice is even if the CSIS handbook says it can be done if you have not done the experiment and know the pitfalls avoid the experiment.
One experiment fraught with danger is the thermite experiment!
leepy63

Post by leepy63 »

In our school we have a hard copy of "CHEMWATCH" which list all the chemicals we usually use. I have not come across anything yet in 7 years that isnt in this book. It lists what Students or Teachers are allowed use the chemical, the classification of the chemical, if it is classed as hassardous for use in schools and if it is banned. My school lives by this book as everything in NSW DET schools is governed by it even how we store our chemicals. As for volcanoes we use bi-carb and food colouring this can be done in sand, plastercine, beakers or kids could even make something. That part is up to the person/Teachers creativity.

As for Potassium Dichrome we don't use it I cant remember why, and I'm not at work now to check my book but we always look for a safer way to do things at our school anyway. So try the bi-carb. I have also seen this done with a little detergent added which helps it all froth up and bubble.

hope this helps.
mazcheck

Post by mazcheck »

Can anyone tell me if using potassium dichromate for a volano experiment is allowed? The order also asks for matches, vinegar and bi-carb soda
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Potassium dichromate is for Years 11 & 12 ONLY. Taken from the CSIS page 201
"Highly toxic if ingested: Carcinogenic: avoid akin contact: may cause sensitisation" etc etc
:crazy:
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
emme

Post by emme »

Hi would you please fax a copy of the list to me also , on 02 9311 4532. Ta
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

is there anyway we could get the list upload so everyone can have a copy or is it just what's in the CSIS manual.I know I've never seen a copy in the twenty years I've been here.

Thank god for this site.
:coffee:
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

I know this is an old question but if you could help me out!

Potassium Permanganate & glycerol practical we haven't done for years because of the fact that it can be bought over the counter at a chemist (well you could back then) and teenage boys like to blow things up we don't need to give them any ideas.

I've just had teacher put a question to me regarding another school K-12 where infants students were shown this practical in a fume cupboard.

Yes / No what do you think?

My way of thinking why not have hands on vinegar & bi-carb?
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

Don't do it in the fume cupboard. I had some idiot teacher demonstrate this in the fume cupboard and the resulting mess on the inside of the cupboard took ages to clean up. This demonstration is usually done outside in an open area on a metal tray of sand. Kids can stand well back and observe from a distance. Just check which direction the wind is blowing and warn those who may be asthmatic. I never divulged the fact that the chemicals could be bought from the chemist. I'm sure the internet has done that job for me.
I also have on hand bottles of vinegar coloured with red food dye for the volcano reaction with bicarbonate of soda. I make up a dilute solution (about 4%) of acetic acid and label it "Not for human consumption". We use this when the kids have made their own volcanoes using paper mache around tin cans.