Banned experiments

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Re: Banned experiments

Post by Labbie »

Potassium dichromate is for Years 11 & 12 ONLY. Taken from the CSIS page 201
"Highly toxic if ingested: Carcinogenic: avoid akin contact: may cause sensitisation" etc etc
:crazy:
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
emme

Post by emme »

Hi would you please fax a copy of the list to me also , on 02 9311 4532. Ta
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

is there anyway we could get the list upload so everyone can have a copy or is it just what's in the CSIS manual.I know I've never seen a copy in the twenty years I've been here.

Thank god for this site.
:coffee:
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

I know this is an old question but if you could help me out!

Potassium Permanganate & glycerol practical we haven't done for years because of the fact that it can be bought over the counter at a chemist (well you could back then) and teenage boys like to blow things up we don't need to give them any ideas.

I've just had teacher put a question to me regarding another school K-12 where infants students were shown this practical in a fume cupboard.

Yes / No what do you think?

My way of thinking why not have hands on vinegar & bi-carb?
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

Don't do it in the fume cupboard. I had some idiot teacher demonstrate this in the fume cupboard and the resulting mess on the inside of the cupboard took ages to clean up. This demonstration is usually done outside in an open area on a metal tray of sand. Kids can stand well back and observe from a distance. Just check which direction the wind is blowing and warn those who may be asthmatic. I never divulged the fact that the chemicals could be bought from the chemist. I'm sure the internet has done that job for me.
I also have on hand bottles of vinegar coloured with red food dye for the volcano reaction with bicarbonate of soda. I make up a dilute solution (about 4%) of acetic acid and label it "Not for human consumption". We use this when the kids have made their own volcanoes using paper mache around tin cans.
Eliys
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: MacKillop Catholic College
State/Location: NT

Post by Eliys »

Hi Judy,

I would also like a copy please . fax (08) 89305700
Att : Eliys McEvoy

Thank You