Bromothymol Blue

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
joness
State/Location: NSW

Bromothymol Blue

Post by joness »

HELP!! I am having trouble making a solution of Bromothymol Blue. When i make it, it only goes blue for about a minute, then begins to turn green. I add the sodium hydroxide, drop by drop, but still goes green. Can anyone help?

Susie
dime

Re: Bromothymol Blue

Post by dime »

Maybe try stronger NaOH - 1M?
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

did you dissolve it in ethanol before making it up with distilled water? Maybe your water is a bit acidic? I agree with dime - maybe try stronger NaOH?
Robb

Post by Robb »

Hi All,

The Bromothymol Blue needs to be GREEN. If you keep adding the NaOH you will eventually reach the pH that will cause the colour change. This is why your green colour is being changed to blue then back again.

Bromothymol Blue is called that, because the GREEN solution changes to a prominent BLUE colour in the required pH region.

When you make this solution up just make sure that it is a prominent GREEN colour.

This will put you on the right track. --Good try though in problem solving the solution problem--

Cheers,

Robb.....
Last edited by Robb on 06 Jun 2008, 22:31, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Addition of text
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **