Agar Plates

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
Sassi
State/Location: NSW

Re: Agar Plates

Post by Sassi »

Well I tell you what happened to me...

Made up some agar plates and the kids took samples of water etc... Two weeks later they come back to have a look at them, because they had exams in between, now I took them out of the incubator after 2 days (luckily) and Put them in a box in one of the prep store that are rarely used. Anyways, these plates were the most foulest things I have ever laid eyes on, I mean some even had some maggots :yuck: in them... And the stench was undescribable, enough to make us all gag! So after looking at the plates teachers asks me how are you going to dispose of them, I tell her I am gonna put them in a bag with plenty of alcohol, as we usually do. The teacher says no no no, you need to sterilize them, and I tell her no this is good enough, but she wont stop arguing. Fine, I have had a rough day and dont feel like arguing, so out comes the ancient pressure cooker and in goes the plates. After about 35 minutes I suddenly remember why we no longer sterlize our plates in the pressure cooker, they are plastic!!! F*&#$%$%%^#$%##@#@K! Stupid teachers, first they come and stress me out cause they are so bloody unorganized and then they try to tell me what to do, see what happens! And who was left to clean up the bloody mess, I was, and the teacher just laughed at me! That is the last time I ever listen to some stupid teacher :mad: And i am never making agar plates again, because if I have to smell that one more time I am going to be violently ill!
lada

Post by lada »

Our bio teacher dug up this practical where they use food on the plates. OK, kids bringing the food:
salami ,blue cheese,rockmelon skin etc. I put plates in the incubator over weekend, and the smell that greet me was horrible. Old cheese and salami going off :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:
I remember doing prac with e coli and staph. and leaving them in the incubator and the whole week while they were in my prep room, I felt unwell( sore throat, upset tummy), I wonder if the bacteria could have an effect on me
Lada
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

In response to Mushroom's question, yes we get ours from the local Pathology Lab, AND they dispose of them afterwards. In fact, it's a condition of sale that I bring them back so they can dispose of them for me. Suits me - one less thing for me to do! On a good week, if we only need a few, they even give them to us for free because its cheaper than going to the trouble of raising an invoice. Either way, it's much less drama for me. Try asking around at a local hospital or Path lab, or sometimes even a Medical Practice, to see if you can dispose your plates in their yellow bags. The ones near me are fairly community minded, and hardly notice a shopping bag of petri dishes amongst the tonnes of medical waste that they have to dispose of. The Path Lab guys even identify for me what the little cherubs have grown. Dirtiest area in my school - Yr 12 eating area!! No big surprise really.

Cheers, K 8-)
Robdean
School: Lismore High School
Suburb: Lismore

Post by Robdean »

I remember years ago (in the 1970's, I think) when I was working at the Health Commission in the Food Bacto labs and a lab was set up to test the oysters grown around the Hawesbury during a particiularly nasty infectious outbreak. If you ever want to smell a FOUL, NAUSEATING smell, try plating up some infected oyster samples and incubate for a couple of days. Beat the salami samples hands down. I was very grateful when I was moved back to the Water Bacto labs - swimming pool and river samples (and I have only just started eating oysters again!)
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Hi All,

I always sterilize my plastic plates in the pressure cooker after they have been used. I put them in a ovenbag before hand so once they are finished you can just chuck the whole lot away. Melted plates and agar all go into the garbage.

Lorrae
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga

Post by Loopy »

I don't know about you folks, but the more I read, :w00t: the more I want "Danger money!" :thumbup:

Lou.
Sassi

Post by Sassi »

rae wrote:Hi All,

I always sterilize my plastic plates in the pressure cooker after they have been used. I put them in a ovenbag before hand so once they are finished you can just chuck the whole lot away. Melted plates and agar all go into the garbage.

Lorrae
Clever Lorrae! I shall do this next time, that is if I ever agree to do the agar plates again :D By the way, I usually do my agar plates in the fume hood (laminar flow) cause thats what we used to do at uni, to keep pathogens away when culturing microalgae. I find this works well, an always get great results!

Sassi :thumbup:
ellice
Job Title: Lab technician
School: The Illawarra Grammar School
Suburb: Figtree

Post by ellice »

Hi all,
Just reading all the agar plate fiascos, and thought I'd pass on this tip. I only leave the plates in the incubator until a bit of stuff starts growing (2-3 days), then put them in the fridge, (I have one for Science stuff), and tell them whatever they want to hear! E.