non alcoholic giner beer

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
dolphinscales
Job Title: Laboratory Technican
School: Mandurah Senior College
State/Location: WA

non alcoholic giner beer

Post by dolphinscales »

Hi guys and gals in labbie land
i am in search of a fool proof recipe for non alcolhic ginger beer please to be made form scratch.

Many thanks in advance
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Re: non alcoholic giner beer

Post by Slartibartfast »

Annette, I love your spelling of alcoholic but I'm not suggesting anything!Googled ginger beer and found this: Whether it's foolproof of not I have no idea! Sounds delish though.

Ginger Beer

Servings: Makes approximately 1 gallon

Comments:
Home-made non-alcoholic ginger drinks are common throughout Africa, often sold in shops run by West Africans. This ginger drink should be much stronger than any ginger ale soda. It can be enjoyed chilled over ice, or diluted with cold water. Ginger Beer is an appropriate beverage for serving to family and friends during Kwanzaa. Great for the kids too, as it is alcohol-free.

Ingredients:
3 or 4 large fresh ginger roots (not ground ginger)
Juice of two limes (or similar amount of lemon, pineapple, or grapefruit juice)
1 cup granulated sugar
A few whole cloves or a cinnamon stick (optional)
Water

Instructions:
1. Carefully remove and discard the ginger root's outer layer. Pound the ginger root to a pulp and place in a large ovenproof glass mixing bowl or stainless steel container.

2. In a teakettle heat six cups of water to a boil. Pour water over the ginger, cover with a lid or a clean cloth. Put the mixture in a warm place. A sunny spot on a tabletop in front of a window is a good place on a hot day; an oven that has been slightly heated then turned off is a good place on a cold day. Wait one hour.

3. Place a clean cheesecloth or a paper towel in a strainer and pour the mixture through it into a large jar or pitcher (or two jars or pitchers as necessary). Squeeze the cloth to extract all the liquid from the ginger root. Mix in the citrus juice, sugar, and spices. Fill the jar with lukewarm water to make a gallon. Return the mixture to a warm spot and wait another hour.

4. Strain the ginger beer once more and refrigerate until chilled. Serve over ice.

Makes approximately 1 gallon Ginger Beer.

Tip:
If desired, serve with dishes from Western Africa. So no sausages & mash then!
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
Jazz
State/Location: NSW

Post by Jazz »

GINGER BEER

START A GINGER BEER PLANT by placing 50g of fresh bakers yeast in a jar with about 300ml of water, 2 teaspoons of ground ginger and 2 teaspoons of sugar

FEED THE PLANT each day for the next 7 days by adding one teaspoon of ground ginger and 1 teaspoon of sugar.

MAKE THE GINGER BEER by straining the mixture through fine muslin (keeping the sediment) and reserving the liquid. Dissolve 450g of sugar in 600ml of boiling water. when cool add the juice of 2 lemons and the reserved liquid then make up the volume to 4½L. Bottle in P.E.T (coke or similar) bottles as you can keep an eye on the pressure forming and if it gets to great you can release some as required (slowly).

RESTART THE PLANT by dividing the sediment into 2 parts and placing each half into a jar with 300ml of water. You now have 2 plants to feed as above. If one plant is enough you can either give one away or throw it away.

BACK

With compliments

Tasmanian Home Brewing Supplies 179 Elizabeth Street Hobart 62 346230
Cheers Jazz
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

I love Ginger beer, ever tried Saxby's? Yum!!!!!! I might have a go at the above recipes and make a few 100 litres. :w00t:
Richard Hollinworth
DPI&F
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

My mum used to make gingerbeer years ago.
I love Bundaberg Gingerbeer Icy cold!!
\:D/ =D> =D> \:D/
pkij
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Good Shepherd Catholic College
Suburb: Mount Isa

Post by pkij »

We tried making ginger beer a couple of years ago, sounded easy and delicious BUT the whole lot exploded! 8O It completely shredded the plastic containers and showered the prep room/store room including the ceiling with sticky ginger liquid. Took me days to clean up. The recipe says leave in a cool place for 3 to 4 days, maybe their idea of cool and mine (in Mount Isa) are two different things. :unsure:
I do suspect however that something extra was added to try and make it alcoholic, we will never know :whistling2:
dolphinscales

Post by dolphinscales »

Thanks people for your help - the spelling was just bad spelling -lol honest-lol

I did a google myself but thought i would see if anyone had tried any recipes themselves - that way when we do it in class we have a good recipe to start with - what happens after that is there problem -lol

thanks again
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

So can you use PET bottles? I have always been told that for some mystical magical reason that PET would not make nice Ginger Beer and that it could only really be made in Glass!??

Ian :?
dolphinscales

Post by dolphinscales »

it seems most places on the internet suggest plastic due to the safety side ofit so i guess it must be ok - not going to use glass so it will have to do basically
beverley

Post by beverley »

Just a word of warning to those making ginger beer. If you use sugar and yeast you will create alcohol and CO2. It is proportional.
Cheers Bev
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

Yippeeeeeeee!!!! :drunk:BURP!
Richard Hollinworth
DPI&F