Prac Assessment Tasks

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga
State/Location: NSW

Prac Assessment Tasks

Post by Loopy »

Hey everyone!

I am in the middle of Year 10 prac assessment task and started wondering what everyone else does.

We are changing our assesment tasks this year but they were Yr 7 - measuring a quantity of water, an unknown weight on the balance beam, temperature, then drawing equipment, calculating density of an object and lighting a bunsen burner; Yr 8 - focusing a microscope on onion epidermis and then drawing what they see; Yr 9 - using universal indicator to identify 5 substances pH; and Yr 10 - a pendulum prac.

I'm not sure what we will do for the lower years but Yr 10 this year is measuring, timing , and a graphing thing with hypo and hydrochloric acid. I suppose what got me wondering what others do is because of the fiddley farnarkally stuff to be prepared for each class as we don't have the equipment for the classes to do it at the same time.

SOooooo... what do y'all do for prac assessment tasks? Hmm?

Thanks in advance,
Lou P.
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Re: Prac Assessment Tasks

Post by Ian »

Hi Lou,
We are doing Year 10 differently this year. 4 classes, swap teachers each term. A term of Chem, term of Physics, term of Bio and term of EES. I am not sure about the other three, but the I am setting up the Chem one now. Identifying substances. A vial of Bi-Carb (labelled "A"), a vile of salt (labelled "B"), a vial of potato starch (labelled "C") and a vial with a combination of Salt and starch (labelled "U"). They get a dropper bottle of AgNO3, of HCl and of I/KI solution.

They add HCl to A and observe. Add AgNO3 to dissolved B and observe, and add I/KI to C and observe. (write down observations for each) They then have to determine which two substances out of A, B, and C are present in U. Then, given a table of information of tets for common substances, they have to identify A, B, and C.

The EES one.... they get a Siesmic Hazard Map of Australia, and just interpret information off the map and colour in.

Not sure about Physics and Bio yet!

regards
Ian :-)
Loopy

Post by Loopy »

Dear Ian,
Many thanks for your reply.

We have decided that although our prac did what the teachers wanted to assess, it was very hard on me to "top up" 120 bottles with solutions and wash 90 flasks between classes. (Just call me Wonderwoman - but to my teachers I'm Mrs Wonderwoman!) I will be keeping in mind your prac for next year but would also appreciate hearing on your other prac assessment tasks. If nothing else it's always interesting to hear what other people are doing.

Lou P.
A drop of karma coming your way!
lada

Post by lada »

Good to hear all replies.
We just finished yr7 prac with measuring,drawing, lighting BB, setting up filtrations etc.
Yr 8 did microscopes and microslide viewers, yr 11 chem and yr12 chem did separation techniques and asid bases and 9and 10 will be next week. The HT wanted to change yr10 from pendulums to a couple of different pracs including chem and bio. All very well until I gave him estimation on my time and cost of extra equipment. We have about 100 kids in yr 10 and the only thing we have in that quantity is PENDULUM, so the same again this year, thanks.
\:D/ \:D/
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

Loopy

I think I know the prac you're refering to, with the mountains of conical flasks required, and replenishing the solns? a hypo one?
If there was ever one to drive us insane it was that one.
We at one stage set each station up with 5 conical flasks for each student. That meant that each student in each lab would have to have a fresh set each time. we eventually compromised by giving them a bottle brush ,and as part of the prac, they had to clean & reuse
the same flask. Even so we had to buy in a few boxes of flasks to cover the load.
Loopy

Post by Loopy »

You are absolutely spot on Barbara!

It is a prac that is too much manual labour for the entire year to do within a few days if they are all given fresh flasks. The cost of the extra equipment and chemicals has been in the vicinity of $250 not to mention the washing up time! Pendulums are much less trouble.

I really really really hope they don't go changing the year 9 prac coming up at the beginning of next term (that is, testing the pH of several substances). I've finally got a system to it after a couple of years running.

In the meantime, please keep the information coming as it helps me with ideas for the future!

Best regards and lots of thanks,
Lou P.