artifical blood typing

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
sues
State/Location: SA

artifical blood typing

Post by sues »

does anyone have a "fail safe" prac for typing artifial blood groups? :coffee: ta
Jazz
State/Location: NSW

Re: artifical blood typing

Post by Jazz »

hi
if you have access to thr computer they canplay tis game
http://nobelprize.org/educational_games ... index.html
Cheers Jazz
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

How do you find all these fantastic sites???? I just had a quick look at it. I'll be showing this one to the teachers!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Hi
I do have hundreds of websites saved in Favorites, divided into categories by subject and by year. Lots of experiments from the books do not work or chemicals can not be used any more and I am looking for the alternatives all the time. I have quite big collection. Book in progress (one day,hopefully)
Cheers Jazz
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

A useful site is - The Regional Technicians Group - in WA. After you get onto their website click onto Links and then click onto Problems and Solutions. There are two different pracs for artificial blood typing. Add the site to your Favorites list. Also check out LABNETWEST for experiments and technical tips.
Lyn.
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Without a doubt the kit from Westlab in THE best and simplest ever. The kit uses artificial reagents to mimic blood typing, and even uses the same basic techniques as are used in initial typing in Path Labs (ie drops on a slide and looking for agglutination). The techniques are also fairly idiot proof.

The book comes with a cute story about "Whose Baby is it?" which naturally the kids just love. Nothing like a bit of Days of Our Lives scandal to engage teenagers.

Cheers, K 8-)
worktofish
State/Location: TAS

Post by worktofish »

For the really tight I use this recipe. Done in spotting tiles or on slides kids look for precipitation (just tell em it like agglutination) it works fine. We use it in our forensics unit. Most of them store OK as well. The dye just makes it look a little bloodlike.

Blood Test Simulation

Antibody B NaCl
Antibody A K2SO4

A BaCl2 Methyl red
B AgNO3 Methyl Red
AB Pb(NO3)2 Methyl red
O KNO3 Food dye.
CC
Job Title: Labbie
School: Goulburn High School
Suburb: Goulburn

Post by CC »

Hi worktofish

Could you give me clear details about this fake blood. Our forensics teacher is exciting about this!!

thanks Cindy