Limewater

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
emma.hunt
State/Location: NSW

Re: Limewater

Post by emma.hunt »

Hi
this might be a dumb question, but I followed the instructions in 'the laboratory', so when the solution settles am I meant to decant that liquid into a bottle? or just do it now when its a milky colour?

thanks!
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

When the milky solution has settled down, pour a very small amount into a small beakers, get a straw and BLOW into the clear liquid, it will turn milky, or cloudy that is a test to see if it is ready to use. The teacher should know, that once you have invented it or shaken it, and its settled down, not to shake it again. So we would send the whole 2.5 L bottle into class.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
emma.hunt

Post by emma.hunt »

Wonderful, thanks Labbie
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

I have merge because of the limewater still, it may help.
Regards Labbie

Labbie

Post by Labbie »

You are most welcome Emma.hunt
Regards Labbie

Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Slightly different here but I do the same as Sunray and Wayne mentioned (from years ago). So I have a stock solution which is what I have made using the instructions in The Laboratory (also previously mentioned) and I have one or two working solution bottles. I carefully pour the liquid from the stock bottle into the working bottle - I stop once I see the bottom layer of calcium hydroxide start to get stirred up. I send the working solution into the class, the stock solution stays in the chem store.
If I decant any, I refill the stock bottle with water, give it a shake and let it settle again before using.
remlap12

Post by remlap12 »

Merilyn1 wrote: 11 Sep 2019, 11:46 Slightly different here but I do the same as Sunray and Wayne mentioned (from years ago). So I have a stock solution which is what I have made using the instructions in The Laboratory (also previously mentioned) and I have one or two working solution bottles. I carefully pour the liquid from the stock bottle into the working bottle - I stop once I see the bottom layer of calcium hydroxide start to get stirred up. I send the working solution into the class, the stock solution stays in the chem store.
If I decant any, I refill the stock bottle with water, give it a shake and let it settle again before using.
I do the same, Merilyn. :thumbup:
Regards
remlap12
science support and problem solver :mail:
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

I'm trying to set up my lime water still... Does anyone know what size rubber bung with 2 holes fits in the top of a winchester? I have ones that are too big or two small. I did find a cork one that fits (no holes) but none of the measurements match any of the 2 hole rubber bung options I've found online. How hard is it to put your own holes in with a cork borer? I think the cork would disintegrate because the holes would be too close together at the bottom. The diameter of the top of the winchester is about 28mm.
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

RosalieL wrote: 05 Mar 2024, 09:30 I'm trying to set up my lime water still... Does anyone know what size rubber bung with 2 holes fits in the top of a winchester? I have ones that are too big or two small. I did find a cork one that fits (no holes) but none of the measurements match any of the 2 hole rubber bung options I've found online. How hard is it to put your own holes in with a cork borer? I think the cork would disintegrate because the holes would be too close together at the bottom. The diameter of the top of the winchester is about 28mm.
Never mind - I found the right size sold individually at wiltronics, of all places!