Eyes for dissection

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
melsid
Job Title: Lab Rat
School: PHS
State/Location: NSW

Re: Eyes for dissection

Post by melsid »

We get ours from the local abattoirs, they kindly supply them to us free of charge :) You could also try a friendly butcher, although ours don't get bulls eyes in but they will supply pigs eyes if we are desparate enough to use them.
We use bulls eyes because of the size, so much easier than pigs or sheep to see everything.
Lorikeet
Job Title: Purveyor of stuff
School: Broughton Anglican College
Suburb: Menangle

Post by Lorikeet »

I have used a local piggery - got them for free and found an abbatoir local-ish also free - they had quoted $1 per eye but gave them to us .. Local butcher quoted $5 an eye ... But I am Sydney - you just need to do some phone work ...
With thanks Kate :coffee:
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

Is anyone else having trouble getting eyes this year? I've tried a few butchers and they've said they can't get them anymore and suggested straight from an abattoir. Unfortunately our closest is about an hour away and they charge $4.40/eyeball! So factoring in 2.5 hours of my time (roughly) and $44 for 10 eyeballs I don't know that it's really worth it.

Any suggestions for a virtual dissection for iPads? I've had a look at a couple of videos online but haven't really found anything. There is a free app I found but it doesn't really show a dissection. It's just clicking on the names of the parts and seeing a diagram of each bit and a terrible AI voice reading out what it does. There are also too many ads! Happy to look into paying for a good one because it sounds like the eyeball problem is going to be a permanent one.
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

We are lucky enough to have a butcher that will get them from a abattoir 3 hours away, he vaccuum packs into class set for me. Our abattoir closed years ago. Eyes are becoming more and more expensive.

I just tried to get him to order Hearts, Kidneys & brains and apparently the abattoirs are only selling in 10kg boxes now. We just don't have the room to freeze them.

Would be interested in virtual dissection also.
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

macca wrote: 17 Oct 2023, 07:44 We are lucky enough to have a butcher that will get them from a abattoir 3 hours away, he vaccuum packs into class set for me. Our abattoir closed years ago. Eyes are becoming more and more expensive.

I just tried to get him to order Hearts, Kidneys & brains and apparently the abattoirs are only selling in 10kg boxes now. We just don't have the room to freeze them.

Would be interested in virtual dissection also.
I have two butchers I use (one close to the school, one close to my house) depending on the day required but they both have said they can't get eyes anymore. I don't know if this is a new thing or not because it hasn't been a problem in the past! I hope it doesn't also mean they can't get the other bits we need throughout the year :-(
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

Southern Biology - Eyes Frozen 5pkt $28.90 getting to expensive.
Marama T
Job Title: Laboratory technician
School: College

Post by Marama T »

We got eyes from the abattoir delivered to our local butcher earlier this year. $5 freight. It sounds like we're lucky in that regard. Can't get fresh brains anymore though - we had to get preserved brains from Southern Biological.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

We've given up on brains, too (like a few people around here :cheesy: ). Last lots were in pieces, not whole. Teachers decided that the brain dissection is not worth the cost. However, things like hearts and eyes certainly have a lot of value especially for seniors.
I've been on leave for five months (just rubbing it in) so haven't had to buy anything recently. I'll brace myself for the disappointment!
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

It is for year 8 and I don't think they'll value it. I need the teachers to line up their topics with senior bio!