Radiation cans

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS
State/Location: NSW

Radiation cans

Post by RosalieL »

Hi all :-)

According to our inventory, we have these radiation cans.
3F40F0D8-9A4C-4DA4-9496-7E0899102F62.jpeg
Does anyone have these and can tell me what size they are as I don’t believe the measurements in the picture would be correct!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Re: Radiation cans

Post by bigmack »

175mm tall, 49mm diameter sounds about right ....(its not 490mm diameter )
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

Oh that makes more sense. I was imagining 175mm diameter and 490 height and knew that couldn't be right!
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

Its always exciting seeing what a new school has squirrelled away . Usually its the same ol same ol , but sometimes you come across some real gems you’ve never seen before .

I’ve been at this school for over 5 years now and I still occasionally open a cupboard or drawer and think whoo , how have I never seen that before ?
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

I still haven't found them but the teacher came up with an alternative... We are hopefully getting new labs in the next year or two so I am sure I will find plenty of gems when we move in!
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

bigmack wrote: 12 Mar 2021, 08:38 Its always exciting seeing what a new school has squirrelled away . Usually its the same ol same ol , but sometimes you come across some real gems you’ve never seen before .

I’ve been at this school for over 5 years now and I still occasionally open a cupboard or drawer and think whoo , how have I never seen that before ?
Been here nearly 30 years and did a complete stock take of all the equipment during covid and put it away in alphabetical order into compactors (apart from Biol and a bit of Chem and Geology), still found a few things I swear I didn't know we had! I look the equipment up, print off the instructions twice, put 1 in a folder and the other with the equipment. Then I nag the teachers to use it so I can see how it works.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

I love it, 30 years is a long time. Lucky school.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
melsid
Job Title: Lab Rat
School: PHS

Post by melsid »

We made our own radiation cans - I bought some white and black spray paint, and sprayed a set of Coke cans. I'm thinking I really should have silver in the mix as well, but I have had this set going for over 5 years now.
emma.hunt

Post by emma.hunt »

I'm sure we have those exact ones in black and silver, and we have some different size ones in black and white
cactus155
Job Title: Laboratory Guru
School: Claremont College
Suburb: Claremont
State/Location: TAS

Post by cactus155 »

The symbol after the 49 can be used to indicate diameter and normally is on technical drawings and similar
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

Labbie wrote: 16 Mar 2021, 11:51 I love it, 30 years is a long time. Lucky school.
If it hadn't given me a refurbish I would have left by now. 2 days a week as labbie. My teachers treat me very, very well, so I am lucky too.
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

Try forty years in the same school. Is it time to retire? :coffee: Yes I have the black and white sprayed aluminium cans and the silver ones if we use them are covered in aluminium foil. I think some of the cans are overdue for a repaint though. Spray outdoors using a flat white and flat black paint and try not to inhale. :thumbup:
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

Thanks, I'll look into making them out of coke cans if I don't find them before they're needed again!