Data Harvest communication error

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS
State/Location: NSW

Data Harvest communication error

Post by RosalieL »

Hi All,
I have emailed the Data Harvest support but as they're in the UK I thought I'd ask here as well in case I get a quicker answer!

The physics teacher (also new to this school) and I are trying to work out the data logger here. It's a data harvest easysense vision. When we turn it on we get a "communications error" saying "Lost communications - vision will now restart". It just keeps looping back to that. Any suggestions? What "communications" might it be looking for?
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Re: Data Harvest communication error

Post by bigmack »

We have those Rosalie.
have been starting to see that a few times too . Its when the Probe /sensor and Datalogger stop talking to each other . I haven't been able to pin it down as to what's causing it as its quite intermittent .
You could try a different cable and /or sensor .

One of our original light sensors has also failed in that it still give a number to the Data logger but the Datalogger can't detect what kind of sensor it is and one of the thermometers randomly reads way out of range values .

I hope these Data Loggers aren't starting to fail at a certain age because they have been great .

Out of Curiosity, what sensor are you using on it ?
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

Bigmack - I didn't have a sensor plugged in at the time! I did get a reply from the company. They suggested to make sure it's fully charged. Before I got that email though, I had tried a long press on the on/off button and that seemed to turn it off fully. I'm guessing a short press is like a standby mode or something. I suspect it hadn't been turned off since whenever it was last used. This seems to have fixed the problem (for now at least!). I plugged in a temperature probe (because I knew I would be able to tell if it was working or not!) and it worked.

Do you know if anyone does training on these data loggers? I'm in Medowie (Newcastle) if that helps...
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

Glad you got it sorted . Yes , you have to press hold power for 3-5 seconds to fully power off . That's something you'll probably have to do after every prac to save the batteries . ....otherwise , as you found out they just go to standby .

Do sure about training . Never heard of for them .

If it helps , I have made up a few "cheat sheets " for some of the
more common Physics pracs that we do . ( Because , teacher and myself forget from year to year) and have to work it out over and over .
Data Logger Pics.jpg
Magnet drop.jpg
Pendulum Datasheet.jpg
If you are interested , I can PM the word files to you .

Once the students have followed a few of these , they quickly get the hang of how to use them .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

That would be amazing! Yes please!
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Yes please bigmack kevinwr@bigpond.com Husband & I have a joined account.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

Done Labbie .

Rosalie ,I'll have to use email as the files are too large to upload or PM .
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Thank you so much bigmack, that's just great.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

bigmack wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 11:17 Rosalie ,I'll have to use email as the files are too large to upload or PM .
I've sent you a PM with my email address :thumbup: