End User Declaration

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
Whspa
State/Location: NSW

End User Declaration

Post by Whspa »

Has anyone used one of these?
I've just started ordering some chemicals, including Mg ribbon, and am being asked to fill one in and send ID. I don't like the idea of sending a copy of my licence. How secure is our information?
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Re: End User Declaration

Post by Labbie »

Private school I guess, see head of science or Principal they should be handling that sort of thing.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Nothing to do with being in a "private" school. Curious what other chemicals you purchased. I've just read on Chemsupply website that end user declarations are needed for drug pre-cursors, although I've never had to complete one. I'd definitely be handing this onto your business manager as it is a legal issue that we shouldn't have to put our name to.
mazcheck

Post by mazcheck »

I tried to order hydrogen peroxide and was told I needed to fill in an EUD including a copy of my driver's license. I cancelled that order as there was no way I was comfortable with providing my license details.
Whspa

Post by Whspa »

I'm in a DET school. I'll talk to my HT, but he's just 'acting' at the moment.
On WESTLAB's EUD, it states that the End User is "the person who will use the product", so I guess that ultimately the Head Teacher is responsible.
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Can Westlab help us on this one please?
Regards Labbie

Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

I think the "end user" is someone who gets paid more than us!
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Yes I agree Merilyn 1, principal, he/she is the highest ranking person at the school any school, and it should be them. Not us.
Regards Labbie

Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

It would have to be your administration (business manager) who would be responsible for providing an EUD if required. If you are ordering chemicals using a school order number I don't see why you would need to provide an EUD. Are you ordering from a different supplier than usual? Thirty odd years ago I asked the business manager at that time did we have a dangerous goods certificate to cover us and the chemicals we had in the science labs and was told that it was all in hand. That was way back when we ordered chemicals from government stores. Things have moved on since then and there are more independent suppliers around for schools. I think once you use a supplier on a regular basis there would be less likelihood of being asked for an EUD.
Westlab - Alice
Job Title: Product Manager
School: Westlab Pty Ltd
Suburb: MITCHELL PARK
State/Location: VIC

Post by Westlab - Alice »

There has been a tightening of the regulations around chemical supply which you would appreciate that we need to comply with. This does include schools (including public schools) being required to complete an end user declaration for certain chemicals each time that they order. The crime diversion unit does require the following:
> Proof of ID (copy of your driver's licence)
> End User Declaration
ALICE ELFORD
Product Manager
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/alice-elford/
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Thanks Westlab,
Regards Labbie

Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Westlab - Alice wrote: 02 Mar 2020, 07:23 There has been a tightening of the regulations around chemical supply which you would appreciate that we need to comply with. This does include schools (including public schools) being required to complete an end user declaration for certain chemicals each time that they order. The crime diversion unit does require the following:
> Proof of ID (copy of your driver's licence)
> End User Declaration
But why should it be the lab assistant's details? Legally, I'm not the person purchasing the chemicals, ie they are not "mine" but belong to my employer. On this logic, my employer should be completing the end user declaration but how does a corporation provide a drivers licence? Maybe this is something that suppliers need to check and clarify?
Westlab - Alice

The EUD should be completed by the person supervising the use of the specified chemicals in the school. This maybe a teacher or a lab assistant etc. During an audit conducted by the ATO, they will request the person's details that ordered the chemical along with their driver's licence.
ALICE ELFORD
Product Manager
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

So, I'm a bit confused. I found a Regulation Impact Statement on the Office of Prime Minister's website which states:
"End-users use the precursor chemical or equipment as part of their business or institutional processes (eg. to produce a product). End users do not on-sell the precursor chemical or equipment in the form in which is it received."

I figure it is not my business or institutional processes.

My advice to other labbies is to pass any end user agreements onto someone with greater authority than us. For me, I will be handing it over to the business manager. I'm not sure what the equivalent would be in a DET school. I do not believe we would have the authority, or the need, to take on the responsibility of this.
Lyn

Post by Lyn »

Check this site out : EUD - Science Industry Australia. There is a document there that outlines chemicals and equipment and the requirement of EUD's for different categories. Cat 1 chemicals require an EUD for each purchase and can only be sold to 'account customers'. Cat 2 chemicals - if you are an established 'account customer' then an EUD is not required but non-account customers are required to provide an EUD. Cat 3 chemicals - it is up to the supplier to assess if the buyer is legitimate and act accordingly. I think most of us would fall into Cat 2 with our calcium, magnesium and sodium metals etc. So if the school already has a well established account with the supplier then there would be no need for the EUD. At least that is my understanding of this information in this document - "Code of Practice for Supply Diversion into Illicit Drug Manufacture". This version of the Code is dated 2007. Publication date was Oct 2008 with a review date of Oct 2009. So there may have been further updates since then. If anyone has a more recent update available let us know. At least this one can give us some idea of what we are dealing with in the meantime.
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

A friend of mine found something on Science Assist which clearly says that lab assistants should not sign an EUD. It should be completed by someone higher in the organisation, such as the faculty head.
Lyn

Post by Lyn »

Now if I had only gone to Science Assist to start with I wouldn't have spent so much time looking for info on EUD's. Cause there it was at the bottom of their response about potassium iodide, the very document that I thought I had been so clever to find on the internet. :coffee: Anyhow the information regarding chemicals is useful. At least it helps to clarify what I need to know for my job.
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Ha! I got as far as thinking about posting the question to them. Would have been even better if I'd done a search! Another reason to keep logging into Science Assist as if we don't use it we will lose it :-(
ELIZABETH
School: O'Connor Catholic College
Suburb: Armidale

Post by ELIZABETH »

I just spoke to the principal about this and she signed on the spot.
(Helps that she's a science teacher, I think).
Cheers
Westlab - Alice

Lyn wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 14:32 Check this site out : EUD - Science Industry Australia. There is a document there that outlines chemicals and equipment and the requirement of EUD's for different categories. Cat 1 chemicals require an EUD for each purchase and can only be sold to 'account customers'. Cat 2 chemicals - if you are an established 'account customer' then an EUD is not required but non-account customers are required to provide an EUD. Cat 3 chemicals - it is up to the supplier to assess if the buyer is legitimate and act accordingly. I think most of us would fall into Cat 2 with our calcium, magnesium and sodium metals etc. So if the school already has a well established account with the supplier then there would be no need for the EUD. At least that is my understanding of this information in this document - "Code of Practice for Supply Diversion into Illicit Drug Manufacture". This version of the Code is dated 2007. Publication date was Oct 2008 with a review date of Oct 2009. So there may have been further updates since then. If anyone has a more recent update available let us know. At least this one can give us some idea of what we are dealing with in the meantime.
Even if a school is an account customer, we do require proof of ID of the contact person for each order. This is forwarded through to the Police Dept. Note that different states have different regulations regarding End User Declarations.
ALICE ELFORD
Product Manager