MTA products going downhill fast?

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
MariaQ
Job Title: Boss
School: Central Coast Grammar
State/Location: NSW

MTA products going downhill fast?

Post by MariaQ »

Hi Guys,

I have a few issues with MTA who took over Serrata, just putting this out there so others are warned. Just recieved a purchased 5 x 50 metre tapes, the picture on the website is exactly what I have ordered previously, but the ones they have sent are not as pictured and no where near the quality! The originals have robust turning handles that are reinforced with metal, the new ones are only half as thick and look like they will snap the first time they are used. The picture shows a brand named tape but what they have sent is a cheap Chinese knock off. Its annoying because I spend time looking for what I want, I will be having a few words and returning them and as this has not been the only issue I have had with them with misrepresentation I wont be ordering from them again. :mad:

Cheers MariaQ
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Re: MTA products going downhill fast?

Post by Labbie »

We at one time had to use SAP at work, and only people that had put items on. The picture did not match the wording, and I tried to send it back, they would not take it back, so we were stuck with it.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Haven't had to send anything back to MTA but have done so with other suppliers. There would be requirements under fair trading about refunding money for items that have been misrepresented. MTA used to have some really good items but since taking over Serrata's stock this is bound to happen. Serrata were really struggling to compete on price, and as a result, their quality suffered.
It is really annoying when you don't get what you thought you had ordered. It wastes a lot of our time.
My biggest gripe with MTA is not being able to have my own log in details, so there is the potential of my order getting mixed up with orders from other areas of the college. Not sure if the Kindergarten teacher is going to be happy receiving 500ml of sulfuric acid!!
MariaQ

Post by MariaQ »

Yes agree with the login! The waste of my time is what annoys me the most, and that I have to justify why I'm returning and why I shouldn't have to pay postage! Thing is the invoice hasn't been paid, and I wont pay for the other items until they sort this out. I stopped buying a lot of stuff from Serrata over the last few years because of quality. Cheers MariaQ
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

Had a similar problem last year . Pic in Catalogue showed a Switch that was labelled with OBB ……we've had them before and they were good .
When my parcel arrived they were a Chinese copy . One screw instead of two holding the lever so it could easily loosen and be turned out of alignment and the spring lever was so flimsy that it wouldn't contact the bottom contact unless 100% care was taken....that was never going to last in a classroom .

However when I rung MTA , they were totally fine with my gripe and I got a refund . Ended up buying the IEC ones , which I should have done in the first place .
Serrata really missed the point when they went cheap Chinese . Sure the products were cheaper for the schools to buy and they probably made a huge profit compared to selling IEC or other good quality products but the cost is really back on the schools when cheap has to be replaced because it doesn't last .
MariaQ

Post by MariaQ »

Thing is, I didn't think I was buying cheap, I was buying what I saw in the catalogue which matched my previous purchase. What they provided was different which is almost deception, how many people would just accept it and not complain about being sent a cheaper inferior product? Not good business practice in my opinion
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

MariaQ wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 08:47 Thing is, I didn't think I was buying cheap, I was buying what I saw in the catalogue which matched my previous purchase.
That's what I did too Maria .

Incidentally , the new MTA catalogue arrived yesterday and I looked up the switch and sure enough they have the same deceiving picture .
superbug

Post by superbug »

Was the price any cheaper for the chinese version please?
I think I will stay with westlab.
Cheers
mnguyen

Post by mnguyen »

I agree the quality has gone and they send the wrong items as well. Just like Serrata used to do. LOL . One would assume since taking over, one would improve the quality and service.
MariaQ

Post by MariaQ »

No same price! And they still haven't answered my email asking for a Reply Paid address to return them to. In fact I have had trouble with follow up with MTA with a previous issue. I've been buying all my glassware from Westlab for years, much better quality, but Westlab don't always have the more "school type" equipment. I was trying to get the same tapes as previously, which I purchased from Serrata because they were good quality and I wanted more of the same. False advertising in my opinion. MariaQ
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

I have had all sorts of issues with MTA. Not buying from them again!!
Just yesterday I received an order from them from September last year, which I actually cancelled in November, so wasn't expecting to receive it ever. :redcard:
mnguyen

Post by mnguyen »

Mta has got some good expensive brand name product such as IEC and German brand and also some cheap Chinese stuff .Depends on your budget, but better off long run to invest in quality wares, rather keep replacing them.Sometime you can buy meters from Bunning. Much cheaper.
mnguyen

Post by mnguyen »

Find that some supplier overcharged on some wares. It pays to shop around with all suppliers and ask for a discount.
MariaQ

Post by MariaQ »

mnguyen wrote: 17 Feb 2020, 13:51 Find that some supplier overcharged on some wares. It pays to shop around with all suppliers and ask for a discount.
I always do this, the issue here is that they have misrepresented with photos the item ordered compared to the item sent, and BTW Im still waiting for a reply to my email........ :oops:
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

MariaQ wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 07:24 and BTW Im still waiting for a reply to my email........ :oops:
Give them a ring . Have your invoice /order number ready and they will sort it there and then …….well that was my experience .
mnguyen

Post by mnguyen »

I had positive experience with them sorting through my orders when they stuff up. But though the supplier are in Edbuy, the quality and prices I find are not cheap, as compared to other suppliers. pays to shop around.
Marama T
Job Title: Laboratory technician
School: College

Post by Marama T »

We buy a lot of stuff through MTA, particularly now they've taken over Serrata. I've never had any issues with product quality or service.
Anastasia

Post by Anastasia »

I am disappointed with the service at MTA. I have sent multiple emails to seek assistance to 3 different people (our assigned sales support person, technical person and general sales enquiry) over a period of a month and have as yet to hear from any of them. I will not be using MTA for any of our orders.
MariaQ

Post by MariaQ »

Anastasia wrote: 11 Mar 2020, 11:17 I am disappointed with the service at MTA. I have sent multiple emails to seek assistance to 3 different people (our assigned sales support person, technical person and general sales enquiry) over a period of a month and have as yet to hear from any of them. I will not be using MTA for any of our orders.
Was that by any chance a Nicole? I never got any replies from her. Interestingly MTA sent me an general push out email last week, asking for feedback!! :cheesy: Well they got it :thumbup: and within hours I was contacted with apologies and they arranged for a refund and pick up of the product, its just annoying that when I went through the appropriate channels I received no action or even response :redcard: so still not impressed. MariaQ
Anastasia

Post by Anastasia »

No not a Nicole but two other individuals who I won't name plus the general sales email. Concerning that so many at MTA don't reply to emails!