Chemical quality

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Chemical quality

Post by bigmack »

Made up some Zinc Sulfate solution using Silform brand .
The Chem was powdery with a pinkish hue .
powder.jpg
The solution after mixing looked discusting with foam on the top and was very cloudy with a huge flocculent staring to settle after a bout an hour
I tried filtering it and there wasn't that much improvement .
Silform.jpg
I opened a jar of Ajax Finechem .
The chemical looked more crystalline .
Crystals.jpg
The solution was clear as water
Ajax Finechem.jpg
So I wonder is this the difference between AR and LR grade or is it a brand issue .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Re: Chemical quality

Post by Labbie »

LR Laboratory Reagent
GR General Reagent
AR Analytical Reagent
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

I only buy the LR grade, unless there is nothing else available. I would suspect it is the quality of the brand. I would send the photos to the supplier and question them about it. I've only known zinc sulfate to be a clear solution.
Oh, and often, I get crystals or powder for the same chemical. So I don't think that's the problem. Although that powder looks really gluggy.
MariaQ
Job Title: Boss
School: Central Coast Grammar

Post by MariaQ »

I bought some chemicals from Silform, and found they were a lot lower grade, especially the magnesium ribbon, I probably wont buy from them again. MariaQ
karend

Post by karend »

I won't purchase any chemicals from Silform, the quality is very, very poor
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

Well in fairness to Silform , I have to say this is the first time I have found an issue like this .
I made up some Silform Ferrous Sulfate after this ( also LR ) and it was perfectly fine .

Incidentally , I passed the Zinc Sulfate 4 times through filter paper before it was clear enough .
Wayne
School: Mount Carmel College
Suburb: Sandy Bay
State/Location: TAS

Post by Wayne »

Has Silform folded? tried getting to their website and it was saying it doesn't exist.
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

Wayne wrote: 09 Jun 2022, 10:38 Has Silform folded? tried getting to their website and it was saying it doesn't exist.
This is being discussed today on the ASET mailing list. Are you on that? It's worth signing up. I've just sent an email asking if it's ok for me to post the ASET member's email content here. I didn't want to share without permission.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

RosalieL wrote: 09 Jun 2022, 12:25
Wayne wrote: 09 Jun 2022, 10:38 Has Silform folded? tried getting to their website and it was saying it doesn't exist.
This is being discussed today on the ASET mailing list. Are you on that? It's worth signing up. I've just sent an email asking if it's ok for me to post the ASET member's email content here. I didn't want to share without permission.
Is that a NSW mailing group?
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Yes it is Wayne. You're always welcome to move :)
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

Wayne wrote: 10 Jun 2022, 08:39
RosalieL wrote: 09 Jun 2022, 12:25
Is that a NSW mailing group?
Oh Sorry! I didn’t realise it was NSW only :whistling2: moving right along… apparently it has been bought out by Alpha Chemicals.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

RosalieL wrote: 10 Jun 2022, 10:53
Oh Sorry! I didn’t realise it was NSW only :whistling2: moving right along… apparently it has been bought out by Alpha Chemicals.
Not the same Alpha Chemicals that were allegedly stealing from them, as per the letter that Silform sent around?! :?

I only ever bought 2 chemicals from them and were looking for an updated SDS for one of them when I found their website wasn't there anymore.
KassH
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: SPC KMPSY

Post by KassH »

Wayne wrote: 10 Jun 2022, 12:12
RosalieL wrote: 10 Jun 2022, 10:53
Not the same Alpha Chemicals that were allegedly stealing from them, as per the letter that Silform sent around?! :?

I only ever bought 2 chemicals from them and were looking for an updated SDS for one of them when I found their website wasn't there anymore.
Hi Wayne I'm in the same boat now trying to find an updated SDS for a Silform product.
What did you end up doing?
Westlab - Alice
Job Title: Product Manager
School: Westlab Pty Ltd
Suburb: MITCHELL PARK
State/Location: VIC

Post by Westlab - Alice »

bigmack wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 13:00 Made up some Zinc Sulfate solution using Silform brand .
The Chem was powdery with a pinkish hue .
powder.jpg
The solution after mixing looked discusting with foam on the top and was very cloudy with a huge flocculent staring to settle after a bout an hour
I tried filtering it and there wasn't that much improvement .
Silform.jpg
I opened a jar of Ajax Finechem .
The chemical looked more crystalline .
Crystals.jpg
The solution was clear as water
Ajax Finechem.jpg

So I wonder is this the difference between AR and LR grade or is it a brand issue .
Here is a basic overview of the grades - https://www.westlab.com.au/blog/a-guide ... cal-grades

Hope it helps
ALICE ELFORD
Product Manager
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/alice-elford/