Spring Balances

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Spring Balances

Post by bigmack »

Hi all
about to purchase some new spring balances .
Quite a few of the older ones have the numbers so badly worn off them that they are now useless.
several of the yellow ones have had the spring come detached and I am sick of trying to fix them .

They are available from the usual suppliers but when you zoom in on the pictures of them at first glance they all look the same but it becomes apparent that they are all slightly different . Also most are around $10 each while serrata has them for $6

So has anyone got comments on which are lasting longer ? and from where . I'm tempted by Serrata's cheap ones but usually that bites me on the backside.
Prima
Job Title: Lab assistant
State/Location: NSW

Re: Spring Balances

Post by Prima »

I've recently bought a new Premium style, much better and stronger than the old style. From Haines, code P350. Not cheap at $16 but hopefully an investment. We are keeping them for Seniors and letting the juniors use the old tubular ones. Until recently we were using the even older version, essentially just a spring attached to a copper plate with graduated marks down the side, absolutely useless!
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

Thanks Prima . They look nice . biggest issue I had with the old tubular ones was the markings wearing off . how well do they appear printed or etched on the Haines ones ?
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Do try clear nail polish, stayed on for years. over the markings of course. We also did this on the glass Measuring cylinders.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Prima
Job Title: Lab assistant

Post by Prima »

Great idea, Labbie!
Might not be necessary with this new design, the markings are printed on the inside of the tubing, doesn't look like they can be worn away by the sliding marker.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Prima wrote: 21 Jun 2019, 12:18 I've recently bought a new Premium style, much better and stronger than the old style. From Haines, code P350. Not cheap at $16 but hopefully an investment. We are keeping them for Seniors and letting the juniors use the old tubular ones. Until recently we were using the even older version, essentially just a spring attached to a copper plate with graduated marks down the side, absolutely useless!
Wow, they do look good. Maybe keep us posted on how they perform over the next 12 months. Shame I just bought some of the cheaper ones (still cost $12) so probably won't need to buy any for a while (hopefully!).
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

Prima wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 11:05 Great idea, Labbie!
Might not be necessary with this new design, the markings are printed on the inside of the tubing, doesn't look like they can be worn away by the sliding marker.
Sure is a great idea Labby . I might try to save the existing ones this way .

Thanks for the info Prima , that sounds excellent \:D/ ....head teacher said spend the extra .
Now just got work out exactly which sizes to get .
We used to have 0-1N , 0-5N and 0-50 but it Seems the old yellow 0-50N were rarely used so thinking might go 0-20N instead .
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

OK they arrived . Pretty happy with them . They were all "Zeroe'd" on arrival . I checked all the 1N ones with a 100gm mass and they all weighed 100gm except for one that was 0.5gm out .....I'm pretty happy with that . :grin:
Haines Spring Balances.jpg
Here's a side by side with the older type we had . The scale is longer on the new ones and easier to read I think . Also as Prima said , the markings are on the inside so shouldn't wear off .
Spring Balance Compare.jpg
My only concern is that the wire that comes out could be damaged by rough students . The 100gm mass was not an issue but imagine doing this with a 2kG weight . Time will tell .
Possible failure point.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

Morning brains trust,

I've just had a Yr 7 class using the spring balances with 250 gm masses. They have been swinging them to measure angle. Well now most are broken any idea on how I could fix them, trying to get them apart is a nightmare. Or just replace.
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

I've had good intentions and tried to repair. In the end, the broken ones ended up in the bin and I bought new ones. Maybe other people are more patient than me though!
Yeah, swinging them just sounds like a bad idea.
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

Which type were they macca , and where have they broken?

Totally agree Merilyn , what a stupid thing for the teacher to request …… or was it just kids doing what kids do
macca

Post by macca »

They've stretched the springs, so just going to throw out and replace. Some were old metal ones and old plastic, how you can't see when the kids are doing the wrong thing, I don't know.
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

macca wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 08:28 They've stretched the springs, so just going to throw out and replace. Some were old metal ones and old plastic, how you can't see when the kids are doing the wrong thing, I don't know.
I'm seeing more of that in recent times. Kids not being respectful, more inexperienced teachers that don't have good classroom management skills. Really disappointing to get almost new equipment returned that has been damaged.

What is worse is when the teachers back ups their students by saying "it was an accident", "they were doing the right thing and it just happened" or "they're really good kids who wouldn't have done anything wrong".

I'm getting tired of this.
macca

Post by macca »

I'm glad it's not just me the decline over the last 20 years is scarey. Even the pracs I'm asked to prepare some days, I feel like a kindergarten assisstant.
There needs to be boundies some not all teachers, "the need to be friends with the kids". Build a rapport yes! kids aren't stupid give them an inch they'll take a mile. Adults are the same.

It's friday!! have a good weekend everyone. :coffee:
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Watched a teacher, new to us but ten years plus experience, be given the role of Year 10 patron who then went onto try to be "mates" with all his students. Cooking pancakes in the labs on his from home gas stove (I put a stop to that), making hot chocolates for them all. It was driving me crazy from a WHS view.
Anyway, we (the Food Tech assistant and me) got a laugh because it all backfired. By Year 12 he couldn't get the kids to do anything - short uniforms, jewellery, haircuts were commonplace. They all thought of him as a soft target and didn't listen to him.

I'm glad it is Friday.