pressure cooker

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong
State/Location: NSW

pressure cooker

Post by Kathryn »

Hi everyone,
Pressure cookers were discussed a few years back but I am wondering if anyone has bought one recently for sterilizing agar plates? If so, what brand have you bought and is it good?

Thanks in advance

Kathryn :)
melsid
Job Title: Lab Rat
School: PHS

Re: pressure cooker

Post by melsid »

Hi Kathryn,
I would recommend purchasing an autoclave rather than a pressure cooker if you possibly can. Yes they cost a bit more, but they are designed for the task and tend to last a lot longer. So long term they are actually cheaper. We have an All American 1915X and it is great! I'm pretty sure it is still readily available from some, if not all of our usual suppliers.
Mel
Kathryn
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong

Post by Kathryn »

Even the cheapest autoclaves are way beyond our budget atm. Currently we just toss used agar plates but now that they are starting to use far more, I would prefer to have better practice. Any pressure cooker will be better than nothing.
bigmack
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

I use some old thing that's been around for as long as me . Gets the job done .
My only suggestion would be to make sure you can fit a class set in it at a time . Mines just a bit small so I have to usually have two runs to get them all done .