test tube holders

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
melsid
Job Title: Lab Rat
School: PHS
State/Location: NSW

test tube holders

Post by melsid »

Our lovely timber test tube holders are slowly being burnt away, and we need to replace them.

We have some of the metal spring ones but none of the teachers are very keen on them. We purchased some new timber ones a couple of years ago but the springs were very weak and so they haven't lasted long at all.

Has anyone got any recommendations for good quality replacements, preferably in a peg type? I noticed that Wetlab has some plastic ones, has anyone tried them at all?

TIA
Mel
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Re: test tube holders

Post by Merilyn1 »

I bought some good ones from Science Supply. I had some others where the spring was not only weak, but there was no groove cut into the timber for the spring. They were dangerous and ended up in the bin.
melsid

Post by melsid »

Thanks Merilyn, I'll check them out. :)
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

We have had our metal test tube holders since the nineties or thereabouts. The head of department got sick of the budding pyromaniacs burning the wooden test tube holders. Haven't had a burning test tube clamp since. They are relatively cheap and easy to use. I think they are a great invention. :thumbup:
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong

Post by Kathryn »

I wouldn't bother with plastic - i think they would melt too easily
Matt_Coffs

Post by Matt_Coffs »

I got one plastic one to try but it did melt quite quickly when it got close to the flame. I'll be staying with the wooden ones.
melsid

Post by melsid »

I was worried that the plastic ones would melt, now to find some wooden ones that have a strong spring! Sadly my teachers realy dislike the metal ones - our students tended to drop them a lot.

Thanks everyone for the info :)