intestine demonstration

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong
State/Location: NSW

intestine demonstration

Post by Kathryn »

I have been asked to put together a long clear tube in which a marble can be inserted in one end and pushed along to demonstrate food moving through the intestine. i am having trouble finding clear tubing which is malable enough to push the marble but not so loose that it just drops through. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could use or any other ideas to demonstrate this?

Kathryn :-)
bigmack
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Re: intestine demonstration

Post by bigmack »

Have you looked at Silicone rubber tubing ? Home brew shops sell it . Some is harder that others . I also got some from Clarke Rubber a few years ago for another project it was supper squishy ...infact I used that to make a Peristaltic Pump ....exactly what you are trying to demonstrate . It was expensive though.

Perhaps you could try something other than a marble , like say some soft play dough ( coloured ) ....that would look more like food too :unsure:

Another thought , a tennis ball in a stocking
Wato3
Job Title: Science Laboratory Technician
School: Cootamundra High School
Suburb: Cootamundra

Post by Wato3 »

We've been doing this prac with our students, They love it as it is really gross but very effective :w00t:

https://www.stem.org.uk/resources/elibr ... experiment
remlap12

Post by remlap12 »

Wato3 wrote:We've been doing this prac with our students, They love it as it is really gross but very effective :w00t:

https://www.stem.org.uk/resources/elibr ... experiment
We do one very similar to this one, as you said Wato3, the kids love it because it's gross!!! :yuck:
Regards
remlap12
science support and problem solver :mail:
bindibadgi
Suburb: Kensington Park
State/Location: SA

Post by bindibadgi »

I played around with this prac to try & get the grossest most realistic poop I could to entertain the kids, & this recipe gets great reactions, especially when you squeeze the poop out into the bucket (toilet) & get lovely satisfying splashes! :cheesy: :yuck: :cheesy:
Simulating Digestion.docx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bindibadgi
Kathryn
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong

Post by Kathryn »

Thank you for your gross recommendations.The particular teacher has seen that and decided it is too gross for her! I will have a look at home brew or Clarks rubber - thanks.
Kathryn