spectrum tubes

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong
State/Location: NSW

spectrum tubes

Post by Kathryn »

Hi all

Does anyone have this spectrum tube power supply from Serrata?
http://www.chemtalk.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=451/products/cate ... ch/1052983

If so, are you happy with the product?

We would prefer

https://www.<URL removed, see forum rules>/product.php?p=7223 or https://www.<URL removed, see forum rules>/product.php?p=8867 but these are a lot more expensive and hard to justify.

Thanks in advance.

Kathryn :D
bigmack
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Re: spectrum tubes

Post by bigmack »

Kathryn , maybe you could throw up a picture of the too as it looks likes the links are a nogo .

BTW we just use an induction coil on ours .
Kathryn
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong

Post by Kathryn »

Sorry I had not realised I can not put those web addresses up. I don't seem to be able to insert a picture so I have added an attachment. If anyone has experience with any of these could you please let me know what you think.
Thanks
Spectrum tubes pictures.docx
Kathryn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
melsid
Job Title: Lab Rat
School: PHS

Post by melsid »

We have a timber stand for ours, and connect it up to the power supply with wires. Old school, but it works every time. And we already own it!
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Post by linotas »

We have some old ones similar to the top one in your pictures and newer ones like the bottom one. Our newer ones are from Cider House Tech (we get all our pasco gear from there) Never had a complaint about them.
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

Got a Power supply for our spectrum tubes as this year we had a new physics teacher that was a bit nervous with induction coils .
Plugged an old Tube in and it ran beautifully with a nice constant glow compared to the flickery results that an induction coil normally causes .
New Spectal tube PS.jpg
Got out the newer set of tubes we got from Serrata .
Doh , the bases on the Serrata ones are fatter and they won't fit in the IEC base . #-o
Small base.jpg
Won't fit.jpg
I'm pleased I checked before handing them out .Looks like another small project to make them fit .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

We have a few of these power supplies. Best things we ever bought! Super easy to set up and use. We did have to buy new spectrum tubes but we had a pretty dodgy range anyway. The new ones are mainly a knock off of the IEC ones. In future, I will buy the IEC tubes as they seem to be a bit better quality and hopefully will last a bit longer.
Bottom line, if you hate handling induction coils unnecessarily, these are definitely the way to go.
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

Made an adapter in the 3D printer and found a bit of spring that lengthens the contact in the base.

if anyone ever needs one , PM me for the .STL file
adaptor.jpg
Adaptor fitted.jpg
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Well done Bigmack you did it again. Thank you
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
gotolady

Post by gotolady »

:clap3: You are a legend Bigmack. Thank you for sharing your expertise.