Physics repair workstation

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
Matt_Coffs
State/Location: NSW

Physics repair workstation

Post by Matt_Coffs »

Does anyone have a dedicated workstation setup for the repair of Physics equipment? If so what tools, equipment etc do you have there? I'd like to make a workstation where everything can be left permanently so I don't have to dig through cupboards and pull everything out just to fix something then have to pack everything away when finished. Does anyone have photos of anything that works for them?
Thanks.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Re: Physics repair workstation

Post by Labbie »

wish we had the room for that. In the prep room we have a NOT WORKING box that teachers put things into if they do not work.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Prima
Job Title: Lab assistant

Post by Prima »

If it's anything like mine, it's always overflowing :yuck:
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

Hi Matt_Coffs
Well its completely dysfunctional but it gets the job done .
Desk on the Left is our Prac ordering desk and general office desk but My offsider has a Power supply and Lamp with some jumper leads . Its handy to test things .
The desk to the right has become my repair desk .Its pretty clear ATM and there are some SDS folders being worked on but otherwise everything gets fixed there .
Desks.jpg
Having spent 30 years as a TV tech with a full workshop , I occasionally get a bit frustrated but basically anything can be fixed anywhere as long as you have the tools .
As far as tools go , A set of screw drivers , a set of Jewellers screw drivers , Set of Allan keys , wire cutters and strippers if you prefer , pliers , Slip joint pliers , shifter , soldering Iron ,solder , Files , hammer , hacksaw , tin snips .Also a battery drill and full set of drill bits . The last few items don't generally need to be used very often and I am on good relations with the GA \:D/ .
Oh and a Multimter is useful .
You can go on and on and include all cleaning stuff for microscopes and greases etc but as its all available elsewhere in the prep room I just get it as needed .
Like Labbie said , there isn't room to set up a full servicing desk . The space required wouldn't justify the time spent at it . .....but it could look impressive :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

Forgot to mention the tool box is on the ordering bench along with a box of assorted screws , washers , knuts, bolts that have been ratted out of anything before it is written off . Also I keep an assortment of banana plugs and alligator clips in there handy too .
Matt_Coffs

Post by Matt_Coffs »

Thanks for the replies and ideas.
The room i'm setting up was a dedicated data logging room. Long and skinny with a bench along one wall with lots of power points. Nowadays our data loggers are used in the labs and the room is just a dumping spot.
I've put a tall gratnell draw system in and have ordered some shelving to go up on the wall. This will become our Physics prep room. I guess i'll add tools etc to the end "workbench" as I go.
file-2 (1).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga

Post by Loopy »

Noice! :clap3:
Lou P.
Learner Lab Technician
Wagga Wagga
NSW
Lorikeet
Job Title: Purveyor of stuff
School: Broughton Anglican College
Suburb: Menangle

Post by Lorikeet »

Very spacious and handy indeed .. room for a hammock???
With thanks Kate :coffee:
gotolady

Post by gotolady »

Lucky you to have that space but would think that Lorikeet is on the right track. Add a roll-away bed that will fit under the bench for those days when you just need a time out.
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

And a lock on the door that no-one else has a key to, just for those afternoon siestas. Lucky to have that green outlook also.