ethanol - denatured or undenatured?

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong
State/Location: NSW

ethanol - denatured or undenatured?

Post by Kathryn »

Hi
Could someone please tell me the difference between denatured or undenatured ethanol? Does it make a difference to pracs? I usually purchase denatured but it is not in stock atm at my preferred supplier.
Kathryn
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Re: ethanol - denatured or undenatured?

Post by Labbie »

Absolute (99-100%) ethanol

Some procedures that are sensitive to the presence of water require absolute ethanol. A common method to produce ethanol with a higher concentration than 95% is to use additives that disrupt the azeotrope composition and allow further distillation. For this reason, absolute ethanol sometimes contains trace amounts of these additives (such as benzene). Absolute ethanol is hygroscopic (it attracts water), so don’t expect it to remain ‘100%’ ethanol for long if it’s left uncapped.

3) Denatured ethanol

Denatured ethanol (either 95% or absolute) contains additives (such as methanol and isopropanol) that render it unsafe to drink, and therefore exempt from certain beverage taxes. This makes it cheaper than pure ethanol.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub: